Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Herb  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2024 14:14:51(UTC)
Herb

In the school I work in, there is a risk of the higher needs young children eating the rock salt. Other than doing a risk assessment and ensuring that there is adequate supervision at all times, has anyone else coming across this and how are you controlling it? Have you found an alternative such as gritting school playground with EcoGrit ice melt (but I imagine this will be very expensive for schools to purchase?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2024 15:10:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What’s the difference between rock salt (sodium chloride) and EcoGrit Concentrate which is “produced by mixing sodium chloride with evaporated co-products from the sugar, starch, cereal carbohydrate processing and distillation industries.” Except eco grit probably tastes a bit better!

andrewcl  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2024 06:56:41(UTC)
andrewcl

When I have to clear snow at home, and at the moment I am snowed in entirely, I use normal salt. This may be a better option fpr you, as it may not be as expensive to buy in bulk, will only form salt water as a by-product and has no 'bits' that higher needs children might think are edible.

The potential down side to this as an option is that the 'bits' often give extra grip underfoot, so it may be that you need to use more pure salt than you would grit to achieve a satisfactory result...