Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stephanie hewitt  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2024 13:50:13(UTC)
stephanie hewitt

Hello everyone - can anyone advise if it is sufficient to ask people to do a 'knowledge check' after an online DSE training module, and direct them to seek further assistance if required, or do they need to do an additional 'self assessment' too?  I can't see anything specific in the Regs.  Or could I rename the 'knowledge check' to 'self assessment'?  My thought are, that as long as they know how to find help, this should be covered.  Be grateful for any advise.  This is for office workers, using laptops and phones.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2024 15:21:44(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Stephanie

Your first post here, so welcome.

I am going to play Devil's Advocate.

Much as I voted against Brexit, one of the "benefits" is that the UK Government could revoke the DSE Regulations which are well past their sell by date as the Regulations were written when most workers DIDN'T use DSE equipment apart from perhaps a monitor at about eye level beside the machine they were operating.

So, if you imagine that these Regulations didn't exist how would you answer your question?

Would you do what you do for any other risk that your workforce are exposed to and apply a pragmatic approach to assessing the risks, giving staff appropriate training and supervision and doing some active monitoring as to what happens at the front line?

Now if we got shot of the DSE Regulations that wouldn't mean that the risks don't have to be assessed, nor that reasonably practicable precautions would still be required to mitigate the risks.

....and HSE could produce some guidance for the types of workstations that were envisaged when the Regulations were written.

So, the worker usually sitting at a desk, with a monitor, keyboard and mouse and may be needing to read a document, so for ease you provide a document holder alongside the monitor (or these days quite often more than one monitor).

Your "suitable and sufficient" assessment would include recognition that sitting for prolonged periods is not what evolution has designed humans to do, so you would encourage your staff to take breaks and get up from their chairs from time to time - even if that is only to walk to the multifunctional device to print out and/or scan some documents.

...and if we all spent less time on DSE assessments etc etc, there would be more time to assess (and MITIGATE) other risks such as the manager whose approach causes work-related stress - it's unlikely that there is no such manager in the organisation you work for (UNLESS you are in a very small organisation which applies a highly decentralised approach to how things are done)!!

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
stephanie hewitt on 22/01/2024(UTC)
achrn  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2024 09:09:39(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

the UK Government could revoke the DSE Regulations which are well past their sell by date as the Regulations were written when most workers DIDN'T use DSE equipment apart from perhaps a monitor at about eye level beside the machine they were operating.

Yebbut they aren't going to do piffling things like that when there are important matters to legislate on, such as the ability to sell champagne in pints.

I do find it interesting that the HSE guidance contradicts the DSE regs though.

DSE regs the schedule: "The work chair shall be stable and allow the operator or user easy freedom of movement and a comfortable position.  The seat shall be adjustable in height.  The seat back shall be adjustable in both height and tilt."

HSE: "you don’t necessarily need office furniture at home to achieve a good posture” and a picture of a four-legged chair with no of those adjustments (at 1:05 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liaBs1-Zz3I or teh bottom half of https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/good-posture.htm).

Reverting to the original question, we kind of do both - our 'workstation assessment' is an online thing that includes a couple of slides of refresher and information on how to escalate concerns.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2024 13:46:40(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi achrn

I am sure that you are well aware that sometimes HSE guidance ignores what the law actually says!

However on the more important point of Brexit "dividends" I guess that with global warming and more wine being produced in England including some sparkling white (which they are not permitted to call champagne!!) there will be a few little Brits who want the RIGHT to buy their wine by the pint.

Whether any suppliers go along with this is perhaps less likely, especially if they want to keep their export options open.