Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
abotto  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2024 16:19:31(UTC)
abotto

Background: we have 200 sites scattered across the UK, 2 main head offices, some employees working from home, approximatly 5000 employees in total. I've been asked how do we obtain reassurance that all 'person specific' risk assessments have been completed across the organisation - so all Working From Home assessments, all DSE assessments, lone worker assessments in our sites, new and expectant mothers risk assessments. 

Even if we were to automate this - say by having a RA matrix, the same as a training matrix, identifying who needs to complete what assessment and then the system showing who has completed it - even if we did do this, it's impossible to keep this up to date as pregnant people will continually change, lone workers will change on site as there is no fix role that is a lone worker etc.  

Looking to see what other organisations do regarding active monitoring of 'person' specific risk assessments.  

MrBrightside  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2024 11:49:42(UTC)
MrBrightside

For me this needs to be owned by HR and the Line Managers. They should manage their employees and be aware when an assessment is required.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2024 12:54:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Organisations following management systems are tasked at audit to prove their staff training.

Like most large employers operating at international level those behind the systems have included training matrices which each branch maintains for their local employees - when it is audit time a quick review picks up the missing and departed.

Even with on-line training recording portals many managers prefer their matrices to provide a local overview - some of the more frustrating systems limit oversight to direct reports meaning the CEO only sees the people in their office and is prevented from viewing the entire business.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2024 12:54:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Organisations following management systems are tasked at audit to prove their staff training.

Like most large employers operating at international level those behind the systems have included training matrices which each branch maintains for their local employees - when it is audit time a quick review picks up the missing and departed.

Even with on-line training recording portals many managers prefer their matrices to provide a local overview - some of the more frustrating systems limit oversight to direct reports meaning the CEO only sees the people in their office and is prevented from viewing the entire business.

Arpita Dey  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2024 07:37:50(UTC)
Arpita Dey

Hello,

Managing 'person-specific' risk assessments across a large organization can be challenging. Utilizing an automated system, like a matrix, is a good start. However, maintaining real-time updates can be complex. Some organizations implement periodic audits and reminder systems, ensuring assessments are up-to-date. Collaboration between HR, managers, and employees is crucial for timely updates. It's an ongoing process, and continuous communication helps ensure the effectiveness of your risk assessment strategy.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2024 17:32:20(UTC)
Kate

#5 fails the Turing test.

Is there an AI yet that can evaluate against the Turing test as well as a human?  And what would we call that test? 

I know, can we call it the Kate test?  I always wanted to have a test named after me.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2024 14:12:24(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Kate #5 also fails when put through a readability test which suggests that it may have been written by poorly programmed AI.

There are plenty of multi-syllable words, so indicating a degree of "education" but not enough full stops and commas in what is a single paragraph. As a whole the text would have upset my English master at school.

Edited by user 01 February 2024 14:48:48(UTC)  | Reason: Additional text