Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
szone  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2024 17:15:17(UTC)
szone

Afternoon All,

I have a query regarding buried services and contacting the providers for statutory information. 

If there is a new development happening on brownfield land, how do you know which of the numerous service providers to contact?. From my understanding there are over 150. 

How would you find out which services are in the area and who the provider is?. 

I have seen there are paid services you can contact who will do it for you, but if you didn't want to pay, how would you know where to look or start?

Thanks 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2024 17:44:38(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi szone

Assuming this is in Great Britain, starting point could be Home - LinesearchbeforeUdig (lsbud.co.uk)

However, even if you were to pay for the information that cost is probably insignificant compared to all the things that should be done before breaking ground. See HSE guidance HSG47.

+ insignificant when compared to the cost of doing the contamination (and other) investigations.

It is quite likely that the single biggest reason for future problems with any new development is failure by the Client to commission sufficient investigations. Seems expensive at the time, but in the long run likely to save a lot of time and hassle.

Not just the contamination but also issues with the ground being structurally unsuitable. Once you know this, then the design can include appropriate foundations - if you don't know then you end up with cheap foundations which then are liable to fail.

szone  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2024 19:37:49(UTC)
szone

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for the reply. 

What I am trying to understand is, how would you know what services are present and who the suppliers are? 

Do you have to use a company such as Line Search or can you do this yourself, if so, where you start? as there is no data base or any other information that would tell you what services are in that area or who the providers are. 

Hopefully that makes sense?