Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sarah Culley  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2024 11:01:11(UTC)
Sarah Culley

Hi, I'm wondering how this applies to offices, as the FRA simply states we must comply. I'm not sure if computer chairs are included as even new ones bought recently don't have any labels. Any information welcome, thank you

stuart46  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2024 12:48:00(UTC)
stuart46

Hi Sarah, A quick internet search would make me think that this doesn't apply unless you are involved in some form of furniture manufacture or supply. It doesn't read to me that it would apply to furniture you use in a building as part of a fire risk assessment. Happy to be corrected.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2024 13:01:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Despite the suggested withdrawal of the statutory instrument it remains in force in the 45th anniversary year of the Manchester Woolworth's fire which prompted its creation.

If your recent purchases arrived without label might I suggest the retailer or importer has been negligent.

Having just flipped a recent flat pack store puchase the permanent Carelessness Causes fire label is present.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2024 13:01:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Despite the suggested withdrawal of the statutory instrument it remains in force in the 45th anniversary year of the Manchester Woolworth's fire which prompted its creation.

If your recent purchases arrived without label might I suggest the retailer or importer has been negligent.

Having just flipped a recent flat pack store puchase the permanent Carelessness Causes fire label is present.

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2024 16:28:34(UTC)
firesafety101

This applies to almost all furniture and furnishings supplied in the UK. 

achrn  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2024 09:40:18(UTC)
achrn

Part 3 of teh regs specifies that "'furniture' means– (a) furniture of any description which is ordinarily intended for private use in a dwelling"

Why would it then apply to office-type funiture in an office?

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2024 11:12:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

S.I. 1989 No 2358 The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1989

“furniture” means any furniture other than the following: mattresses, bed-bases, pillows, cushions and insulated bags designed for carrying infants under the age of six months”.

Interestingly the "domestic" description appears in the review

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/fire-safety-regulations-reform-for-furniture-and-buildings-in-england/#heading-3

The supply chain has signficantly altered since these regulations were written, gone are many of the domestic furniture manufacturers with those selling furniture trading goods made overseas.

Those overseas manufacturers are making bulk orders with no idea of the end user.

As to the question "why would it apply to office furniture" - quite a lot of recent debate on here about DSE and home working including employers who "provide" chairs for use in what is a domestic environment.

Search "computer chair" on a major catalogue retailer web site and you get presented with 56 products where the decription "office chair" makes no comment they should not be used in a domestic environment.

Similarly in the actual office we see what are blatantly domestic chairs one or two people using the like of an "eSports ergonomic gaming chair".

Going belt and braces if the labels are present then we are complying with national legislation.

Where labels are not present chairs should not be "donated" to anyone who may use them in a domestic situation - even giving them away for free still has the provider considered a supplier under the regulations.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2024 11:12:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

S.I. 1989 No 2358 The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1989

“furniture” means any furniture other than the following: mattresses, bed-bases, pillows, cushions and insulated bags designed for carrying infants under the age of six months”.

Interestingly the "domestic" description appears in the review

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/fire-safety-regulations-reform-for-furniture-and-buildings-in-england/#heading-3

The supply chain has signficantly altered since these regulations were written, gone are many of the domestic furniture manufacturers with those selling furniture trading goods made overseas.

Those overseas manufacturers are making bulk orders with no idea of the end user.

As to the question "why would it apply to office furniture" - quite a lot of recent debate on here about DSE and home working including employers who "provide" chairs for use in what is a domestic environment.

Search "computer chair" on a major catalogue retailer web site and you get presented with 56 products where the decription "office chair" makes no comment they should not be used in a domestic environment.

Similarly in the actual office we see what are blatantly domestic chairs one or two people using the like of an "eSports ergonomic gaming chair".

Going belt and braces if the labels are present then we are complying with national legislation.

Where labels are not present chairs should not be "donated" to anyone who may use them in a domestic situation - even giving them away for free still has the provider considered a supplier under the regulations.

achrn  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2024 12:28:23(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

That text is in reg 7 (5) (b), and reg 7 of the amendment regs amends reg 8 of the 1988 regs, and says "In this regulation ... "furniture" means any furniture other than...".  But I think it's not 'any furniture' unless it's "furniture of any description which is ordinarily intended for private use in a dwelling" as per the 1988 regs definition. The 1989 regs do not contain any wider definition of furniture than that in the 1988 regs, as far as I can see (though I may have missed it).

That is, my reading is that in that specific regulation, 'furniture' means any furniture of any description which is ordinarily intended for private use in a dwelling other than mattresses, bed-bases, etc.

1988 regs: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/1324

1989 regs: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/2358/contents/made

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2024 13:58:43(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Sarah

This has been discussed on these Forums before!

Office furniture fire label (iosh.co.uk)

I suppose the point is that a typical chair for use when sitting at a computer in the office doesn't actually have much to easily burn and is in a place which is not intended as sleeping accommodation (even if some staff might nod off from time to time!).

However, if you have sofas in the reception area surely you would buy ones which would be good for use at home?

But just because somebody has written in an FRA that the chairs must comply with legislation, doesn't mean that the law requires that.