Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
awad.amjad  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2024 17:06:16(UTC)
awad.amjad

Greetings IOSH Member,

Could anyone please advise where one could get injury rates (i.e., TRIR) by industry (manufacturing) for the UK and Global? This information is readily available in the USA and Canada and have looked extensively at the HSE statistics site but with limited success.

Your response is much appreciated!

thunderchild  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2024 11:09:22(UTC)
thunderchild

I don't know where you would get this info but in my experience when trying to benchmark against peers of my industry it was difficult as there were different ways companyies worked there figures out so the becnkmarking was never on a level playing field.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2024 15:18:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Awad

You won't find TRIR rates on the HSE website as the reporting/recording requirements are based on different criteria.

The closest comparison is probably in the Industry tables at LFS - Labour Force Survey - Self-reported work-related ill health and workplace injuries: Index of LFS tables (hse.gov.uk)

BUT.....these are based on SIC classifications which do not break down sectors to the same extent as in the US and, probably, Canada.

.....and you would have to play some clever maths if you wanted to try and convert these numbers into TRIRs e.g. to benchmark globally.

achrn  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 09:15:12(UTC)
achrn

If you go up from Peter's link you get to https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ and that leads to some other potentially useful statistics, for example RIDDOR injuries in table RIDIND.

The other set of data you might want is ONS dataset HOUR03, which gives you average hours worked per year by industry, so you can convert to a rate per million hours (or whatever).  That's at https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/datasets/averagehoursworkedbyindustryhour03