Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pseudonym  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2024 09:45:09(UTC)
pseudonym

Morning all,

My current employer is very keen on fitting out meeting rooms with ginormous flat screen TV monitors for training purposes and also to allow for meetings with team members and others who may be off-site and so joining remotely

Is there any generally accepted guidance for sizing these screens? Or does everyone just go with what the highstreet retailers / manufacturer's websites say?

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:29:20(UTC)
firesafety101

I'm no expert but having searchet the net RTINGS.com has a chart you can use to get to your answer.

I have no relationship with the company.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:52:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/what-size-tv-should-i-buy/what-size-tv-should-i-buy-aXiiB3e0zZcW

Your research is going to find that size v distance is mainly considered for a screen being used in a domestic environment with manufacturer recommendation being for the optimal viewing by an individual and/or family.

In the "board" room main considerations are to not oversize the screen so that persons sitting to the immediate left or right struggle to view (here a wide viewing angle becomes important) and arrange furniture so that no one has their back to the screen.

Otherwise just as with projector screens in a training environment early attenders tend to sit where viewing is most comfortable for them.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
pseudonym on 12/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/02/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 12/02/2024(UTC), pseudonym on 12/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/02/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 12/02/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:52:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/what-size-tv-should-i-buy/what-size-tv-should-i-buy-aXiiB3e0zZcW

Your research is going to find that size v distance is mainly considered for a screen being used in a domestic environment with manufacturer recommendation being for the optimal viewing by an individual and/or family.

In the "board" room main considerations are to not oversize the screen so that persons sitting to the immediate left or right struggle to view (here a wide viewing angle becomes important) and arrange furniture so that no one has their back to the screen.

Otherwise just as with projector screens in a training environment early attenders tend to sit where viewing is most comfortable for them.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
pseudonym on 12/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/02/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 12/02/2024(UTC), pseudonym on 12/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/02/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 12/02/2024(UTC)
HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2024 12:39:38(UTC)
HSSnail

Agree with round, but i would add be careful what height they put them in at. Our IT team kitted out some meeting rooms, and while the screens are ok for watching videos etc, if you try to use them as a display screen while sat down you get a realcrick in the neck!

grim72  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2024 14:32:32(UTC)
grim72

Also worth considering glare from windows which might make the whole exercise pointless if nobody can actually see what is on the screen.

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2024 17:32:27(UTC)
stevedm

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10803548.2011.11076868

resaerch into the Tv safe distacne effects of EMF..

ohreally  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2024 21:45:16(UTC)
ohreally

If not aware can I suggest https://www.avforums.com/categories/tv-forums.297/, not only are there some knowlegable individals to draw from there are also some members in H&S roles.

thanks 1 user thanked ohreally for this useful post.
pseudonym on 07/03/2024(UTC)