Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
angelalaycock1  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:16:40(UTC)
angelalaycock1

Hello, I am trying to find an answer to how often wall mounted horizontal baby changing units should be inspected? All I can find is information relating to maintenance and inspection carried out on a regular and periodic base but nothing specific. I have found a lot of information on cleaning them and how often. Any support/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:21:15(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, The supplier or installer would probably be the first port of call for that information.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:41:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with all equipment the period of inspection would be determined by how often it is used and any pattern of abuse:

A shopping centre with high use / prone to abuse would be a more frequent inspection

A visitor toilet facility in a hospice would be at a greatly reduced frequency possibly even annually or longer

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 11:41:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with all equipment the period of inspection would be determined by how often it is used and any pattern of abuse:

A shopping centre with high use / prone to abuse would be a more frequent inspection

A visitor toilet facility in a hospice would be at a greatly reduced frequency possibly even annually or longer

angelalaycock1  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2024 12:03:17(UTC)
angelalaycock1

Thank you both.

My initial thought was the same as yours, similar to any other piece of equipment. I always advise as a control measure for the employee to carry out a visual inspection of the equipment before use however I was not sure if there was a prescribed inspection regime with them being used by members of the public, and babies and toddlers being at height. They won't be heavily used. Thanks again. 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2024 21:53:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quite surprised given how much we like to regulate child care articles but there are no designated (harmonised) standards for non-domestic baby changing equipment

BS EN 12221:2008+A1:2013 and BS EN 12221-2:2008+A1:2013 – Changing units for domestic use

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 15/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 15/02/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2024 21:53:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quite surprised given how much we like to regulate child care articles but there are no designated (harmonised) standards for non-domestic baby changing equipment

BS EN 12221:2008+A1:2013 and BS EN 12221-2:2008+A1:2013 – Changing units for domestic use

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 15/02/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 15/02/2024(UTC)