Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
j.nicholson9045@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2024 14:44:34(UTC)

I have been posed a question by a colleague who is carrying out an FRA on a purpose built block of flats.  There are 50 retirement flats in a building which has a stay put policy.  These are domestic premise on a leased tennancy.

Two of the residents have been identified as wheelchair users and the accomodation manager has requested a copy of a PEEPs template, however there is no provision of a refuge area with voice comms or any evac chairs.

Are these a requirement in a residential building with a stay put policy?

Anyone who answers this question, if you could please also provide a reference for it, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2024 15:09:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

These flats are in which part of the UK (different building regulations apply)?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2024 15:09:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

These flats are in which part of the UK (different building regulations apply)?

#4 Posted : 27 March 2024 15:11:05(UTC)

England

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2024 18:56:17(UTC)
firesafety101

Originally Posted by: j.nicholson9045@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post

I have been posed a question by a colleague who is carrying out an FRA on a purpose built block of flats.  There are 50 retirement flats in a building which has a stay put policy.  These are domestic premise on a leased tennancy.

Two of the residents have been identified as wheelchair users and the accomodation manager has requested a copy of a PEEPs template, however there is no provision of a refuge area with voice comms or any evac chairs.

Are these a requirement in a residential building with a stay put policy?

Anyone who answers this question, if you could please also provide a reference for it, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

If the accommodation Manager has requested a template I suspect he/she is not competent to write the PEEP.

The PEEP should be written with input from the disabled persons.

See the HM Government document eltitled "fire safety risk assessment, means of escape for disabled people.

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2024 12:27:23(UTC)
peter gotch

firsafety - to be fair to the Accommodation Manager, they are not the one charged with leading the production of the FRA.

Which poses the question as to whether the OP's "colleague" is competent to be doing what they are doing, particularly if they are a fee-earning consultant who should already know what the appropriate guidance is

I do of course agree with your comment that if there is a disabled person to consider then their iniput is essential if the PEEP is to be fit for purpose.

Edited by user 29 March 2024 12:29:13(UTC)  | Reason: Minor addition

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 29/03/2024(UTC)
Messey  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2024 21:56:09(UTC)
Messey

I have recently retired after many years in fire safety. The last 14 have been in commercial FS and not residential so I am not in the best place to give the best advice on the latest legislation

However, its safe to say that a 'stay put' policy does not mean:

1) People are forced to stay put.. or;

2) People who have stayed put, might have to evacuate in due course (if the fire spreads)

So a viable evac plan for ALL resdents will be required I am still unsure how a PEEP for a person who lives alone and is unable to use the stairs is going to work in a residential block

firesafety101  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2024 10:30:26(UTC)
firesafety101

I did a FRA on a five storey block of apartments last year and there was a Fire Instruction Notice instructing to evacuate on hearing the alarm sited next yo another norice detailing a Stay Put Policy  

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Kate on 01/04/2024(UTC)
Messy  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2024 08:47:12(UTC)
Messy

I once did an audit of a Metropolitan Police Secrion House- a 15+ storey residential block above a police station in Central London I was a fire service Inspecting Officer with some experience of auditing the Met 's property. Fire safety provision was rarely impressive I was to meet a Met Fire Officer so this should go well. But no, the station was mess and when I asked about the evac process from the residential block,I was told wheelchair users would wait in the refuge for the fire brigade to rescue It was shocking to see this level of incompetence but in dealings with the Met more recently, I was pleased that things had improved