Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sarah Yates  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2024 12:53:04(UTC)
Sarah Yates

Coukld I please have some advice in what to cosider when writing a risk assessement for work activites outside of normal production, whilst on reduced working to keep a team of 3 busy. We have established ther will be no fist aid on site for some of the days, the team will only be working 4 days out of five, is this allowed and this goes for suprevison as well. The team will move to small tasks, sush as making bird boxes to donate to charity to fill in the time, for approx 4 week. Is there anything else I need to consider?

melrogers  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2024 15:39:56(UTC)
melrogers

You need to consider whether they should be working on site unsupervised, is this safe. What is the normal process? What are their normal activities? How are they planning on building bird boxes? What tools will they be using? Are they trained in the use of these tools? 

These are just a few of the things you need to consider. You will also need to think about fire safety etc. 

achrn  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2024 08:59:24(UTC)
achrn

I wouldn't be happy myself just saying "there is no first aid", especially if you are doing real work with actual tools. 

At a minimum there should be a first aid kit, a means of communications, and an appointed person.  I note that https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/firstaid/first-aid-appoint-someone.htm says "An appointed person must always be available whenever people are at work."  The appointed person needs a briefing, but doesn't necesarily need an external training course and a first aid qualification.

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
Kate on 04/06/2024(UTC), ohreally on 05/06/2024(UTC)