Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UncleAlex  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2024 12:23:32(UTC)
UncleAlex

Hi all,

We have an agency labourer working for us, who asked me for a pair of anti-vibration gloves. On pressing him further, it appears that he is suffering from some symptoms of HAVS. I'm now halfway through conducting the investigation into this, during which he told me that he first went to his Doctor about this in March '23, but didn't start working for us until July '23. He also said that he declared HAVS symptoms on his initial medical questionnaire issued by his agency - they have confirmed that no such indication was made. We are engaging an OHP to assess him and his symptoms, and the investigation is ongoing, but my question is:

With the fact that this appears to be a pre-existing condition, and that he did not tell us from the outset, if the OHP confirms a diagnosis of HAVS, is this reportable by us as a RIDDOR (and will therefore go on our figures)??

Thanks everyone :-)

Elfin_Safety  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2024 12:33:41(UTC)
Elfin_Safety

Hi Alex

Essentially yes, a diagnosed case will be reportable if the person's work involves vibrating tools, regardless of whether it is a new or preexisting condition.

See the guidance here (note that there are also specific sections for carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis and tenosynovitis, and cramp of the hand or forearm) Occupational diseases - RIDDOR - HSE

thanks 1 user thanked Elfin_Safety for this useful post.
UncleAlex on 10/06/2024(UTC)
UncleAlex  
#3 Posted : 11 June 2024 08:40:35(UTC)
UncleAlex

Thanks @Elfin_Safety.

If the diagnosis had actually been made back in March last year, when he consulted his GP, and four months before he started working for us, would that have any bearing on our duty to report, with the fact that we had not been made aware of it? Just thinking with the transient nature of Agency staff, he could be laying a whole trail of RIDDOR reports behind him!!!

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2024 08:50:36(UTC)
HSSnail

If he is agency staff then who is the actual employer? It might be for the agency to report - but you need to be clear on future exposure.

One of the last reports Of Hav's i had as an inspector was clearly shown to be caused by a previouse employment, who did not report it but the company had gone bust. The chaps new employer quite rightly reported it as soon as they were made aware.

But you are correct if tis chap keeps moving about the HSE wont want multiple reports. But you need to be clear it has been repored by somebody.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
UncleAlex on 11/06/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 12/06/2024(UTC)