Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KaranIOSH  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2024 19:06:10(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Hello all I have recently passed my Nebosh General Certificate, and wanted to get a few days of CDM work experience on a construction site, does anyone know the best way to start off in Construction Health and Safety for a Newbie?.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2024 07:19:23(UTC)
Kate

That will depend a lot on you.

What work experience of any kind do you have?  And what's the reason for picking construction as a field?

KaranIOSH  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2024 08:58:24(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Im in the Managment field which includeds training staff in the basic health and safety duties, ive worked at Heinz HQ and a Data Centre i have a CSC Construction Card, Fire Warden Certificate, Fire Risk Assesment Certificate and First Aid Level 3.

In conclusion, my extensive experience and qualifications in health and safety management, particularly in the construction sector, make me a strong candidate for a role in Health and Safety Construction. I am dedicated to ensuring compliance, mitigating risks, and fostering a safe working environment. My passion for safety and proactive approach to incident prevention and response will contribute significantly to the success and safety of construction projects. 

Currently im looking for a junior type position but all i see is Head Safety roles.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2024 11:04:07(UTC)
Kate

OK so you do have some relevant background.

If you are only seeing the senior roles then you may be looking in the wrong place or with the wrong criteria.

There are lots of jobs boards and recruitment agencies out there which carry a really wide range of jobs between them.  The salary expectation that you specify will limit which jobs you see, so it would be a mistake to set it too high.

LinkedIn is increasingly a place where you may be contacted directly by recruiters so make sure your profile there is attractive to them.

The other thing is to find some industry contacts who can tell you about opportunities.

KaranIOSH  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2024 11:31:37(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Do you know the best place to find a Construction Health and Safety Mentor?

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2024 11:44:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

This was probably a post better suited to the careers forum.

Originally Posted by: KaranIOSH Go to Quoted Post
In conclusion, my extensive experience and qualifications in health and safety management, particularly in the construction sector, make me a strong candidate for a role in Health and Safety Construction.

I have a few observations:

You might want to ensure your script and aspiration match - how are you "new" with "extensive experience".

The Construction Certificate is a little more appropriate and relevant for the identified career path.

Getting the basics right may open the doors to progression.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 23/06/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2024 11:44:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

This was probably a post better suited to the careers forum.

Originally Posted by: KaranIOSH Go to Quoted Post
In conclusion, my extensive experience and qualifications in health and safety management, particularly in the construction sector, make me a strong candidate for a role in Health and Safety Construction.

I have a few observations:

You might want to ensure your script and aspiration match - how are you "new" with "extensive experience".

The Construction Certificate is a little more appropriate and relevant for the identified career path.

Getting the basics right may open the doors to progression.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 23/06/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 23 June 2024 12:10:47(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Karan

Your first postings here, so welcome to the Forums.

I fully endorse the advice from Rounduit - get your messaging accurate AND make sure that your CV reflects the messaging. Ditto e.g. your LinkedIn profile.

You don't say where you are working at present, assuming you are.

But, supposing you still work for Heinz, then that is a company which will have lots of construction projects, large and small, so could you get the opportunity to get some construction experience, even if perhaps only some shadowing with your current employer?

This is basically just another of those chicken and egg scenarios, but the jobs for people to make a case to move into a different sector DO exist - you just need to convince the recruiters that you have transferable skills and often someone new to a sector brings fresh thinking and can see how "custom and practice" leaves room for improvement.

Lastly, you focused on "CDM" - I am going to suggest that CDM is best done OFF site.

Most of what CDM says about what happens ON site wasn't even in the original iteration of CDM, instead being former legislation, mostly dating back to 1948 (or earlier) being "consolidated" into the Construction (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1996.

CDM 1994 and the European Directive that was its influence were based on the premise that much of what goes wrong ON construction sites would be best dealt with by decisions BEFORE a construction project reaches site.

To be honest, the grand plan hasn't worked nearly as well as was intended, for various reasons including HSE enforcement being heavily skewed towards Contractor duties, but if CDM is really going to make a difference, it is when the front end duty holders - Clients, Designers and Principal Designers do much more to eliminate hazards and reduce the risks that Contractors need to manage.

So, is there an opportunity to get some CDM Client side exposure with your current employer?

Then perhaps look at supporting roles with a construction consultancy - where much of the design is happening and where many of the PD appointments lie?

If you then want to get your hands dirty and do lots of investigations of what happens ON site, then the transition from Client/Consultant to Contractor might be easier.

Good luck, Peter