Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KaranIOSH  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2024 12:35:39(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Hello all I'm new to Construction Health and Safety and wanted to know what main documents have to be created by Health and Safety Staff on a Construction Site.
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2024 16:28:43(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Karan

In a previous posting you indicate that you have attained the NEBOSH General Certificate, so you should be aware of some of the fundamental document requirements of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 amongst other legislation that is as applicable to constuction as other sectors.

You also indicate that you are aware of "CDM", so perhaps time to familiarise yourself with HSE guidance L153 and perhaps compare Part 4 of CDM with the requirements of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1993.

That would give you some clues as to what the "main documents" for H&S in construction might be.

BUT, why would it be an H&S professional creating these and not the line management chain of command?

Plenty of construction projects operate entirely appropriately without site based H&S professionals and have done so since decades before the first iteration of CDM.

firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2024 17:16:23(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi Karen, when I was H&S Manager for a shopfitting company I always prepared a H&S file for the site.

Docs included:

H&S Policy and Environment Policy statements,

Construction Phase Plan,

Fire Plan, with locations of Skips, Cabins, containers, pedestrian areas etc.

Fire risk assessment forms, for site to complete,

Method statements,

Induction procedure,

Certain signs, i.e.First Aider/s and location of first aid kit, Fire Procedure, etc.

F10 copy, (where relevant),

Lots of other stuff I can't remember right now.