Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KaranIOSH  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2024 10:43:49(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Hi all just wondering if part time Health and Safety work is a thing, as i have only ever run into full time safety positions.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2024 12:10:32(UTC)
Kate

I've come across part time health and safety people (and I've done it myself), and a search for part-time health and safety advisor on my favourite jobs board comes up with 3 relevant examples in the UK at the moment.

It is however often the case that if an organisation wants the job to be done part-time, they will get someone to do it alongside other responsibilities.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2024 12:49:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Karan, part time H&S jobs (not alongside doing something else) have existed and continue to exist.

However, like most jobs in "professions" they tend to be in the minority of what is on offer.

That said, more and more organisations are shouting about their "inclusivity" credentials and if part time is what you are looking for may be apply on that basis and hope that an employer will EITHER be able to make a position part time OR job share.

DH1962  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2024 11:54:57(UTC)
DH1962

Peter is right that part-time posts are in the minority but have always been around. I’ve encountered examples in smaller district councils where a lot of their risks have been outsourced, medium-sized upmarket white-collar business-like law firms or finance who want to look after their staff or bespoke/niche SMEs who have a limited range of risks or contacts going on at any one time so don’t need you full time. Oh, and medium sized charities.

One pitfall is a part-time role may be because there are fewer or less “interesting”  risks to manage which can harm career development. The more serious pitfall is that some employers cut the hours of the role to save money but then you find they still expect the same amount of work as a full-time person did.