Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markeland  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2024 15:49:54(UTC)
markeland

Hi all, can you please advise if fire stopping is required in an open planned Warehouse? I'm assuming not as it isn't compartmentalised. 

Just curious if there is a need to fire stop any penetrations which run externally (to fresh air) to the Warehouse.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2024 18:49:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whilst your warehouse may not be a compartment for the purposes of fire protection any penetration is an opportunity for the unwanted to enter - smells, rats, insects, the weather, draughts. 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 09/10/2024(UTC), Kate on 09/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2024 18:49:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whilst your warehouse may not be a compartment for the purposes of fire protection any penetration is an opportunity for the unwanted to enter - smells, rats, insects, the weather, draughts. 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 09/10/2024(UTC), Kate on 09/10/2024(UTC)
Messey  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2024 18:50:14(UTC)
Messey

What a great question!!!!! I would love to know the back story here :)

Fire stopping is as you say, for sealing up compartments and not for gaps leading to open air

The only exceptions may be where there is an external escape staircase directly outside or perhaps a narrow alleyway ip against the building that is part of a means of escape or where hazardous materials are stored very close to the building

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
Kate on 09/10/2024(UTC)
markeland  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2024 08:18:15(UTC)
markeland

Thank you for your responses.

I can't really seem to find anything that clarifies the question on the Internet.

I'm assuming then that although Warehouses don't really need fire stopping in its technical sense if it has no inner compartments, it's beneficial to seal any penetrations to prevent weather and vermin ingress, etc. However, this probably wouldn't need to be done with approved fire stopping materials.

RGP  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2024 10:34:33(UTC)
RGP

I'd have a think about what you are trying to keep out though, as many pests will happily eat through standard filler.  Apparently, a layer of wire wool is good protection against rodents for example.