Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2024 13:18:28(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, bit of a tricky one. We had an employee who was working in a small business premises in a cellar, they became unwell, called the doctor who concluded after speaking to the employee that this was caused by mold in the cellar (namely yellow mold) and was prescribed anti biotics immediately and sent home.  

This is a first for me in terms of a clinical issue which caused symptoms so quickly, I've asked the employee line manager to conduct a full investigation. 

In the meantime,  I want to ensure this is dealt with properly and that this conclusion isn't just two things corresponding (employee feeling sick and concluding this was caused by mold), how do I go about getting further information to confirm this was the case from a medical point of view? I have an eye on other employees who may come across this so I'd like to ensure they are aware of this, in my 5+ years in this role this has never happened before so I want to ensure I take it seriously. 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2024 14:47:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

A quick internet search threw up some concerning hits about "Toxic Mold" Aspergillus and its impact on the allergy prone or immuno suppressed.

As with all molds a dry well aired environment prevents growth and outbreaks are treatable.

This is likely one of those issues where the individuals response will be the determining factor.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2024 14:47:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

A quick internet search threw up some concerning hits about "Toxic Mold" Aspergillus and its impact on the allergy prone or immuno suppressed.

As with all molds a dry well aired environment prevents growth and outbreaks are treatable.

This is likely one of those issues where the individuals response will be the determining factor.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2024 15:35:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Strictly speaking this comes under COSHH, as it is an infection acquired that is linked  to a workplace, just like legionella. Unfortunately there is very little guidance supplied by the HSE on how this can be manged. There is something from the UKHSA, but this is targeted at the housing sector and this is not a notifiable disease, so the doctor who saw the patient is under no legal obligation to contact UKHSA.  

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2024 17:52:11(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi hardworkingdude

"Toxic mold" usually black has been the subject of lots of litigation in the US, but generally "mould" with a U has had less attention in the UK.

If you inhale aspergillus spores you might get a disease such as "Farmer's Lung" but I am far from convinced that a doctor would think that antibiotics was a sensible way to treat that disease (though I am not pretending to be a medical practitioner!!)

Which illustrates part of your dilemma. Does this person's GP really have the knowledge to confidently link presumably limited exposure to some yellow mould in a cellar with the symptoms presented?

...and from your posting I assume that this is in some customer's premises not a place where your staff regularly work, so perhaps not a scenario likely to repeat often if ever.

Without a lot of investigation I doubt if you will come to a firm conclusion as to what has happened. Whether that investigation is worth the effort perhaps depends on what other risks all your workforce face. Should this be high on their (or your) concerns?