Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2002 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jennifer Kelly I am a Langauges grad currently working as an Office Manager. I am very interested in taking the NEBOSH certificate as I would like to move into H&S Management and study for the NEBOSH Diploma part 1. But I have two questions - - Are there job ops for NEBOSH certified grads who do not have an engineering background? - What is the best way to get work experience? Would applying my knowledge to my low risk, office environment, be applicable to potential employers? Any advice would be VERY gratefully received. Jenny
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2002 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Jenny, The H&S profession is very diverse & encompasses all work activities, not just those related to engineering. Therfore, my answer would be no, it's not essential to have this background. The second point relates to gaining experience. Your organisation should have their own source of safety assistance, either in-house or bought in. Why not try & find out where this is obtained & offer to get involved. The NEBOSH Cert. is a good start & will give a good grounding if you wish to progress up the ladder & make H&S your career. I am sure that other respondants will tell you that even with the Cert. it is still quite difficult to obtain a H&S position without experience (& the age old problem of how do you gain the experience if you are not doing the job?). I, in the past, have advertised for posts at the lower end of a career grade structure & was inundated with applicants all trying to make their way in H&S. Nevertheless, my advice is go for it, do the Cert.& see what the future holds!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I do not see the point of bothering with the cert. go for Dip part 1 or some other equivalent. I know it is still marketed as a qualification but it is pointless to start with it if your intention is to progress into a H&S career. It also does not matter about your background its not all about such items as vehicle repair, construction etc, the IT area is particularly growing as are banks and the like. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2002 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin I don't agree with Robert, it is not pointless to begin with the certificate. Of course, if the opportunity exists to start with the Dip. Part 1 or equivalent, this is better, but the certificate is not a waste of time. It gives you a good grounding in the broad church that is H&S and prepares you well for more advanced study later. It is also much more affordable - often vital when considering a career change. The debate about how far the certificate can be viewed as a professional qualification is endless and doesn't need repeating. I do know though that I found it invaluable in starting my career - it provided vast amounts of information, theory and case studies, and showed me where to look for further information, and I would have found it difficult doing my diploma without it. It also got me on the ladder with an employer, who subsequently funded my diploma and built up my H&S experience. Getting involved with your office safety will show you are interested. It will also give you something to apply Health and Safety theory to (such as risk assessment for example - the more you can do while studying, the better, and when you start on a course you will want an outlet to put the knowledge into practice - this will be important to tell future employers that you can apply what you've learned. It isn't easy to get on the ladder of H&S, but the opportunities are there (not just in engineering) and the certificate and some low risk experience is still very valuable to have. Best of luck
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2002 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I'll go with Martin on this one, though I have a lot of reservations about the numbers of people who think that the Certificate is 'all you need'. Anyone thinking about a career, and who can read the ads in the back of Practitioner will realise that in order to progress you need a mixture of knowledge and experience but a Diploma/MIOSH gives you that ring of confidence. Especially when backed by an RSP. That said, I believe the Certificate syllabus is an excellent grounding, though it has its detractors. Main advantage is, as Martin says, it's quick and relatively cheap to self-fund. You can even teach yourself! Good luck, Allan
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 August 2002 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone I agree with Martin, I found the Cert a great start and am now working on my Dip 1, the Cert gives a really good grounding to start the Dip 1
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2002 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jennifer, Agree with the others. Certificate was a good intro into Diploma 1. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2002 18:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz Ferrier I found the NEBOSH certificate a good grounding for all aspects of H&S. Follow that with a diploma I did one at Nottingham Trent. You can do this in 9 months and although hard work it is accredited for IOSH membership.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2002 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Jenny I agree that the certificate is a useful starting point - especially as it gives a lot of vital background information such as jargon, abbreviations, basic law etc which will put you in a much stronger position when it comes to starting the diploma. I'd also agree that the engineering background isn't at all necessary unless you're planning a career in that field. I'd tentatively suggest that good observational skills, a good memory and the persuasive ability to sell your case to all ranks of the organisation are some of the most valuable traits an H&S adviser needs. Just a thought regarding getting some experience - do you belong to a union that needs a safety rep/steward? TU training is usually excellent and it looks good on a CV. Good luck Zoe
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 September 2002 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry You could consider the British Safety Council route - you get a professional safety qualification accepted by a large number of organisations - and it's much easier to obtain. Harry
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2002 02:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Jenny, Apart from the IOSH/NEBOSH courses of study and formal safety qualifications consider the following. You say you are a Language graduate. In regard to possible Job opportunities and Training and Experience internships, with language skills, contact some or all of the following, they may be able to help. The International Labour Organisation www.ilo.org The World Bank The Health and safety section of the EC http://agency.osha.eu.in...ttp://agency.osha.eu.int Also try some of the Oil Companies, they are involved in global operations and often advertise for personnel with Language skills. Whilst I note that you are not Construction/Engineering qualified or experienced, (yet) just as an example, there is currently a role being advertised in West Africa for an on-shore Construction safety Superviser for a 3year contract, MUST be fluent SPANISH Speaker. Also contact the likes of Bechtel or Kellogs the Engineering Consultants, (not the Snap Crackle and Pop Company) Also other British consulting Engineers, many of whom undertake International work and often look for Linguists. They also recruit Graduates on Training and Development programmes. Try web site: http://www.acenet.co.uk/ and Architectural giants such as Foster and Partners or Richard Rogers or RMJM etc. I know a lot of these suggestions have a Construction bias but it is a great Global industry to be involved in. Anyway, just some ideas beyond specific Safety qualifications. Good luck. regards. ken Urquhart