Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2000 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Bircham I hope I don't regret asking this but here goes... I would appreciate the views, experiences, recommendations, condemnations etc of my most esteemed, highly professional (grovel) colleagues on the subject of taking the big three, Safety, Environment and Quality, and integrating them into a single management system. I would be particularly interested to hear of the pitfalls and success stories. As you may have guessed, my organisation is looking into this. My own view is that the synergies created are hard to ignore. This coupled with the competitive advantage offered by ISO 9000 & ISO 14000 accreditation, might actually be a leverage to strengthen the role of safety within the organisation. Your thoughts please....
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2000 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Have you read the IOSH Policy on this, if not it's a good start on the pro's and cons? Another useful reference is John Rimminton's survey on contractor management for HSE titled "Managing Risk Adding Value". My observation on his results is that clearly those organisations working in global markets tend to use an integrated, quality-based management system. In my personal experience in the offshore hydrocarbon industry, integration worked well. However we didn't in fact have a formal in-house quality system (the industry has almost no external customers, so there is no external driver), we merely tried to work to quality principles. We did have one go at a fully-integrated business management system, and soon gave up at the magnitude of the task facing us to try to get every single part of the organisation moving its business processes to a quality-based approach - that's mainly a comment on how far the organisation was from this, than the validity of the vision! All the above is in the context of systems which are NOT externally verified - I have no personal experience of that aspect, though plenty others in the industry do have.