Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2001 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Can anyone please help. I need to find out views of the role of the planning supervisor from within the industry, and if the role is working. What changes could be made to make the role more efferctive? Any views on this or ideas where to get some relivent, upto date info from would be much appriciated. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2001 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Jenns I am an architect, Planning supervisor and am currently working as a health and safety co-ordinator for a civil engineering company. I also serve on CITB as designer representative. I have my own views on the role of Planning supervisor which I am happy to share if you want to contact me. The HSC Consultative document 'Proposals for revising the ACOP on Managing Construction for Health and Safety' published last summer provides an overview from HSE perspective. There are also some articles and some letters in Health and Safety Practitioner about 12 months ago. The Association of Planning Supervisors would be a useful source of information www.aps.org.uk I hope this is useful. PAUL JENNS
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2001 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J. Orridge We undertake a considerable ammount of planning supervisor work. One of the best ways of getting the H&S File completed is to ensure the Principal Contractor id made responsible for its preparation, to a format provided by the planning supervisor. If this is included in the contract, it works very well. If you would like to discuss other ideas please get in touch Regards Petr
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2001 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By chandrashekhar Paul Jennes, After constructing a building, health and safety file will be handed over to the owner, but there are cases where owner insists on risk assessment before taking over.under such circumstances, what would be the way forward. i need further information on CDM regulation, if the owner wants to insure his property, how to address this issue. chandra mail me deshnur@yahoo.com
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2001 19:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Knight Hi Darren, Is the role of PS working? As a construction safety manager, I must reflect that it is not. Altough before any observers rally to the cause I have met with one or two that perform the role very well indeed. One of your three other respondents highlighted the long overdue revamp to the ACOP; but as to when that document will achieve significant improvement I dread to think. If I seem overly downbeat about this, it is because I have seen so many cases where the design management has not been "ringmastered" in the manner intended, with future maintenance issues ignored and buildability left to the PC (who in my opinion should be given no particular sympathy as they enter into an agreement to complete the works under contract) If you are still looking for guidance may I recommend the HSE website www.hse.gov.uk; and also contact the Construction Confederation, as they have some excellent items. In my opinion, the current situation will only be changed by enlightened businesses grabbing hold of their total design process and/or by the HSE making high profile cases where, regreatbly, fatal incidents have occurred. Adrian