Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2001 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
I have not seen it mentioned on the chat pages so members may be interested to note that HSE have now published new guidance on stress.

The web pages below give the information on HSG 218, an Employers guide, and INDG 341 a leaflet for Employees

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg341.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/e01108.htm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2001 20:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I found the long-awaited HSE guide for employees rather disappointing and am minded to continue issuing the Mind Guide to Stress. The views of others would be interesting.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2001 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katie Brown
I am thinking of putting together a conference on manging stress in the workplace and would be interested in thoughts on this issue. How is it managed and measured at present? What are the key challenges of implementing an effective occupational health management system? Any speakers/industry experts you would be interested in hearing from? What would you ask the HSE if they were present?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2001 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
Hi Kate,

You've touched on a subject close to my heart.

"How is it managed and measured at present?"

Well a manager should do a risk assessment for stress, particularly if asked to by an employee. Then he/she would/should send out questionnaires to all staff asking them what the problems are and how they can be put right. This process should ideally involve the union.
In reality the manager will more often than not just refuse point blank to do a stress risk assessment.

"What are the key challenges of implementing an effective occupational health management system?"

The key challenges are these; Occupational health should not be employed by the company. Many times there is a conflict of interests and the employee will be the one who suffers because of it. There should also be an effective and active governing body who will ensure that the OH meets it's obligations. Many times failings are hushed up or swept under the carpet.

"Any speakers/industry experts you would be interested in hearing from?"

Yes Kate, there is. Tim Field of bullyonline, Sir John Harvey Jones industrialist and author,and the The Rt. Hon. Patricia Hewitt MP, and head of the DTI.

"What would you ask the HSE if they were present?"

What are you scared of? Why don't you recognise the most common cause of sickness in the UK instead of leaving it up to the sick employee?

I hope you get this organised Kate, and if I can help in anyway please let me know.

Regards,

Tony
www.workplacebullying.com