Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2001 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie We have contractors in at the moment and the job involves cutting out an H beam (non load bearing). They say they cannot do this since the beam is coated with "red lead" paint, and therefore requires a special licence. This is an environmental concern, rather than an H&S one but it is new to me. Any EH people out there who can comment on this? I appreciate the protection required for operatives, and the dangers of lead in the atmosphere, but, like I said, this is new to me Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2001 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods There are 140+ workers suffering from lead poisoning allegedly caused by stripping paint whilst refurbishing railway stations in Manchester and Liverpool. So it's serious stuff. Have you got a copy of the Working with lead regs if not email me at bob@klyworksafe.fsnet.co.uk and i'll sort you out some info.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2001 22:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Have a look at http://www.edinburghroom...k/leadpaintabatement.htm Ashley
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2001 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Thanks. I'm aware of the points you raise, of course, but this is simply cutting through a 4 inch H beam, free standing in the open air, which has been coated with red oxide primer, aka "red lead". All the normal precautions are in place, but the operatives insist they need a special licence from the environmant agency before making the cut. It is this which I need information on, as such a requirement is completely new to me Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2001 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Laurie, You've been had! There are no regulations requiring that persons cutting red lead painted metals be licensed. However please note that all works have to be done in accordance with the Lead at Work Regulations 1980. Regards Adrian Watson LLM MSc Dip Occ Hyg FBIOH (ROH) FIOSH (RSP) MCIEH
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2001 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Laurie I think they may be looking at the need to transport and dispose of the material when removed. This is an environmental matter and a final disposal or recycle point needs to be established before it is removed from site. Bob