Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2001 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Can any one give details on what is classed as and how to monitor enviromental noise pollution with regards to construction. Are there specific rules on hours when work can be carried out etc. The work is mainly on brown field sites. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2001 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Robert, I am assuming you need information on Environmental noise rather than occupational noise and the Noise at Work Regulations 1989. If you need to control noise from a construction site then I recommend that you obtain BS 5228: 1997 Part 1 "Noise and Vibration Control on construction and open sites". Secondly, get in touch with the Local Authority Environmental Health Department to discuss the potential noise impact. Should there be complaints from local residents, and you have not contacted the LA, an EHO may serve a section 60 notice under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 specifying the manner in which you must work so as not to cause a noise nuisance. The alternative, by working with the EHO is to submitt a Section 61 Application detailing how you will carry out the works so as not to cause a noise nuisance. This method is preferred as the "ball is in you court". This is a very brief explanation, please e-mail me if you need any further information as acoustics & noise control is my field.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2001 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Croydon Council have produced a Code of Practice on 'The Control of Pollution and Noise from Demolition and Construction Sites'. You could try asking them for a copy on 020 8686 4433 (extension 2102?).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2001 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Thanks everyone for your input. Robert Woods