Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

PPE
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2001 04:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By chandrashekhar Our Administration department is objecting to issue new shoes& helmet to Engineers/Managers without the proof of damage. Usually safety shoes are lasting more than 3 years with no signs of damage.I would like to know " how long one can wear safety shoes/helmets and how often should be replaced". I could not get favourable information from the OSHA/HSE regualtions, would request your advise. reference to code/regulations would be of help. thanks in advance chandra
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2001 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods The manufacturer of the helmets will give info on their longevity which is limited three years for most if I remember correctly. In most helmets there is is a dial which can be marked with the renewal date. The helmets should be replaced when there has been a significant impact even if there doesn't seem to be obvious visible signs of damage. On the subject of boots all the places I have worked have given new boots annually. One thing that are forgotten though are laces as they wear they tend to get tied further and further down the boot affecting until there so loose they are almost falling off. Robert Woods
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2001 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Robert's advice regarding helmets is fine and manufacturers will give guidance as he says. However, experience tells me that different employers have different policies as to life expectancy of helmets. For example, my current employers policy is to change them every two years as a matter of course. However, there needs to be a system in place for regular inspection and helmets should be changed earlier if there is a sign of damage. The same goes for footwear. A previous employer changed them annually but with the option of them being changed earlier if there were signs of damage that rendered them unsafe. I have people here who will only occasionally be in a situation where protective footwear is required even though it is supplied. Therefore the life expectancy is much longer than the person who is regularly required to wear them and these are changed less often. A Safety Management System that calls for regular inspection of all items of PPE is the answer. PPE can then be renewed at the discretion of a Line Manager who should be capable of knowing what damage etc to look for. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2001 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The situation with helmets seems much clearer than with footwear. Without a published life-expectancy, some employers will expect to see worn-out shoes before replacing them. Some health professionals take the view that one should not wear the same footwear for two days running (or walking for that matter) but that there should be two days 'rest' before they are worn again. On this system we could argue that operatives should be issued with three pairs of safety shoes if they are needed throughout the working day. Some further published guidance from the HSE/EMAS would be welcome here.