Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2001 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Does anyone have experience of Safely Managing and controlling risks to employees who perform minor maintenance tasks such as painting, coving,flooring/concreting work etc after normal working hours. I want to strictly control management, supervision and breadth of such work and would like help from anyone who has tackled such an issue. I know that the real answer would be to employ and train a team specifically for these handyman type jobs, unfortuneatly this will not happen for some time, and "the show must go on" I have already reccomended restricting the working height, use of certain power toolds, voltage etc and size of such work Can anyone help please. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2001 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson Andrew, are you referring to back pocket work in their own time. Or are you referring to overtime. Back pocket work would be beyond your jurisdiction, they would most likly come within the scope of the self employed. Regards Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2001 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell My apologies, I am referring to our employees performing maintenance tasks on our site, on overtime. Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I would not have that this type of work is exactly 'Rocket Science', surely general health and safety knowledge and awareness would cover most of the job spec eg slips, trips and fallls, working at heights. I would have thought most of the members of IOSH would have a good idea as to what is required. Are you not a H&S person, or perhaps you are just an associate member. If you require an further assistance please ask.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2001 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Andrew Your concerns are valid - I have knowledge of considerable risks being taken by organisations "trying to save money", eg painting a warehouse floor (12hr shifts)with paint which was both harmful and flammable with little more than dust masks as protection. The workers too are keen because of the paid OT. Your best way forward is to insist that a risk assessment is conducted for every task and then the precautions and training requirements should fall out. Your approach of looking at the worst ones first is OK to get on with. Safety committee agenda item? David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2001 18:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew O'Farrell Hi Andrew Is this a trick question or am I missing the point. To my knowlwdge The Health and Safety at Work Act applies 24/7 and there are no exclusions for week-ends. In fact the use of non-professionals may be a breach in itself unless their training and competence can be assured. At the very least the levels of training, supervision and first aid provision may need to be enhanced in relation the use of individuals in unfamiliar work. And then there is the matter of the Working Time Regulations. I don't think you can really divorce the week-end activities from the rest of the week. A fatality on Saturday will still be a fatality on the following Monday. I think you are right to be concerned and may find your 'suitable and sufficient' risk assessment for this scenario may conclude the health and safety of the individuals is not a cheap option. It may be 'the show must go on' but hardly as a dress rehearsal for the local hospital or courts.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2001 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I must agree with Mathew here - an employee working outside his/her job description is still an employee, anf all normal legislation applies. Risk Assessment is all Richard
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2001 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Dear all, Thank you for your responses. I feel that clarification is needed due to a couple of questions raised. A team of 6 people were originally employed to conduct minor tasks such as painting/scraping/cleaning etc on overtime. Over the last six years, (before my time) the scope of work has increased to the point where they are now laying and breaking up coving and concrete etc. This work was suspended about 3 months ago. It will not recommence until all safeguards are in place. We have conducted risk assessments, will provide all necessary further and refresher training and SSOW etc, all the necessary legislative requirements. Although general painting and cleaning is indeed not "rocker science" Use of medium weight breaking equipment, abrasive wheels etc is outside of my experience. With the right training they may be able to use minor domestic type power tools, and this on what I must decide and why I started this thread. If I must keep this work to painting and cleaning only I will do so, but I need very real and clear reasons for such action. Hopefully there are other companies who conduct self-help work and as such have assessed it and decided on the way forward... That was the reason for my question. Thanks again Andrew
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2001 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Competence is the essential ingredient here - even if the tasks are of the 'domestic DIY type'. One of our establishments brings in people to do simple decorating and the like during the holiday period - but we make sure that they receive H&S induction and training using CITB and HSE videos before letting them on site to work below a fall-height of 2m.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2001 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Ken, thanks for the info, I intend to approach the hire company to provide training on any equipment that they may be allowed to use. Can you confirm which CITB and HSE videos are used in your establishments induction process. I get the impression that the establishment you refer to do not allow use of machinery, it is purely kept to simple decorating only, is this correct. Should this be the approach to aim for? Only allow use of a paintbrush and scraper? I know that this idea would be very unpopular even by certain managers but as previously stated, if this is the standard I should be pushing for, I will push for it. I should point out that my view is that all "handyman" type work should be carried out by a qualified "handyman" and this person should be employed as part of the maintenance team and not a weekend DIY'er. Our maintenance team is being expanded to cope with these jobs, it now just falls to me to limit the scope of the work to this "weekend self-help team" I apologise for the length of this message.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 November 2001 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Andrew. You are correct in your assumption of our limiting work to hand tools. For decorating the CITB videos are: 'COSHH' and 'A Brush With Danger' and the HSE one is 'Safe Lifting & Manual Handling' (I'm not sure if this is still available).