Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2001 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny O'Donnell Two of our surveyors are about to become involved with the inspection of a significant quantity of manholes. We already possess a variety of keys and lifting aids, however, I'd like to obtain a device suited specifically to lifting the large split/hinged type of cover. These are often found to be missing their hinge pins and can be unwieldy. I've seen a sketch picture of a lifting device for the split triangle type cover in an HSE publication, but none of the equipment catalogues appear to be able to supply the particular model I have in mind. Basically, this looks like a lever with small wheels and holds the two halves of the cover together by means of a locking bar connected to the key holes. Has anyone any experience of using this type of device or can anyone suggest a sensible practical and safe alternative? I'd also like supplier details if anyone knows where these lifters can be obtained.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2001 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Danny The type you describe is available for hire from LGH tel 01942 896565 - there is a picture of one on their website http://www.lgh.co.uk/lif...ackle/manholelifters.htm Also try Hatchmate on 01245 224775, who make lifters for most kinds of personnel access covers (I don't think we are allowed to say "manhole" any more :-)) John