Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2001 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb
I am seeking advice as how building maintenance companies (or similar) dispose of small amounts (say 1 or 2 bags)of asbestos waste when carrying out minor works on ACM's, such as cement sheet, floor tiles etc?
As i understand it, a waste transportation licence is required to transport the asbestos, and a waste management licence would be required if it was to be stored in a container / skip at a depot, etc.
I would not have thought it practicable to be taking 1 or 2 bags of waste to licensed landfill sites.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2001 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Bennion
Michael,

A tricky one, as I recall the EA (Environment Agency) tend to treat consignments for small amounts the same as larger quantities up to to several tonnes. This would make stockpiling a sensible environmental policy, but not a prudent health and safety decision!!!

My advice would be to contact a waste management company (this may be an expensive option)

or

Try a HSE Licenced asbestos removal contractor holding the necessary transportation licence from the EA and conforming to the carriage of dangerous goods (Classification, Packaging & Labelling) and use of transportable pressure receptacles regulations 1996, carriage of dangerous goods by road regulations 1996, special waste regulations 1996 (as amended) etc.

or

Look into obtaining the licencing youself.

Regards

Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2001 06:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Micheal,

If you remove waste from your premises, you must normally hold a waste carriers license. If you are dealing with small quantities contact your local authority as they are normally the waste collection authority for the area and as such have a service for the collection of small amounts of special waste from households and commercial premises. However there is often a charge for this service and they will require that you fill in the documentation for special wastes.

Regards Adrian Watson.