Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2001 18:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Clarke MIOSH, MIIRSM I have a problem, I hope you can help with. I work for an American company and I am trying to show them that we have to control the contractor's we use, they seem to think we do not need to do anything. Is there any presidents in case law I can use, I did hear of a case concerning a bridge in Deal in Kent that collapsed. Hope you can help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2001 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Graham, I think that the case you mean is the collapse of the passenger walkway at Ramsgate ferry terminal. If memory serves me right, this involved a dock company being prosecuted for not carrying out their own risk assessments, as they had paid a contractor to do the assessments on their behalf. The court held that just getting a contractor in wasn't enough, the company should have done more on their own behalf. Sorry I can't remember the year but I guess it was the mid 90s. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2001 17:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Graham, If the case Zoe has referred to is the one you had in mind, the following address is that of the official HSE press release on the case: www.hse.gov.uk/press/e00013.htm For extra ammunition I have also forwarded a summary of R v Associated Octel to your email address. Good Luck! Phil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2001 21:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker As Phil and Zoe say I think you mean the Port(of)Ramsgate case there is an article in April 1997 TSHP if you have a back copy. The other important case that went to the House of Lords was R vs Associated Octel, appeal wasNov 1996. I seem to remember an excellent report in TSHP by a lawyer on the significance of this case. I’ve just put both of these into Goggle search engine and come up with usable references
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2001 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton Hi. we have a control of contractors policy. I assumed all companies would require the same under the 1974 H&S Act. If you wish I will send you a copy. Cheers
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2002 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lynne Wardrop Hi, if you send me your e-mail address I can forward a couple of cases onto you. My address is lynne.wardrop@south-ayrshire.gov.uk
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2002 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Graham, THe 2 key cases with regards to contractor control are R v Associated OCtel and R v Swan Hunter Shipbuilders. Both relate to employers being prosecuted under Section 3 of HSWA for failing to control the activities of contractors. 2 Good publications are the HSE guide to Managing COntractors in the CHemical industry (although relevant to all industry) and the EEEF do a guide on working partnerships which is excellent. Kind regards, Nick