Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2001 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell We have an overhead track system for moving lamb carcasses. The carcasses hang on a bar which has five small hooks welded to it.bar etc is called a "star hook". Star hook is suspended on the overhead track by a second single hook with a bogey + wheels etc. The hazard is a simple one: If employees move several empty starhooks together it is likely that one or more will fall off. Before I carry on, PPE is being used for the short term. The christams tree hooks cannot be welded/fixed to the rail/small hook for various reasons. The solution then as I see it would be to retro fit a clip/sprung gate guard etc etc to the small hook..Problem solved, or is it. Has anyone solved a similar issue, must be permanent solution, obviously, and cost effective.....any engineering idea's or do I have it right in which case, get on with it. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in anticipation Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2001 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins Andrew Spring clips on hooks may not be reliable long term as they get bent, springs break etc and the star hooks can still fall. This sort of failure is common on hooks on chain slings and the like. Am I right that the problem is caused by the carriers (bogies) getting too close and the star hooks lifting each other? If so it is quite common for overhead conveyor carriers to have curved sheet steel bumpers front and back which effectively set a minimum pitch. This also stops loads hitting each other. However, without seeing your conveyor, I might of course be talking nonsense........ Simon
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2001 08:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Hi Simon, thanks for responding. To clarify, technically there is only a problem when employees move more than 2 hooks at a time this is when they (as you rightly say), get tangled and fall, also if they push too hard the hooks will swing and subsequently fall off. The track is manual, requiring labour to push each laden starhook to its destination. The employees have been educated in the correct techniques however, the risk is still high for new employees and the usual human behaviour factors of stress/tiredness etc. The idea of separators between each carrier to limit tangles and pitch is a good one. If any company out there utilises such a system for moving carcasses or similar please let me know I would like to see it. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2001 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Without seeing the situation, it seems to me that, in addition to the 'separaters' and if the hooks can be dislodged so readily, they could well do with 'mousing off' as you suggest with good quality spring clips or 'carabiner' type fixings.