Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2001 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE
Hi

Can anybody give me some examples on cost effective hazard id methods other than doing a R/Assessment.

Any help most welcome

Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2001 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston
Hi Steve

Hazard identification and risk assessment are different stages of the same process that often get merged in less risky (or low profile) circumstances.

An assessment can't be done without first identifying all of the hazards that the work COULD involve, then going on to assess who might be affected, the potential severity and the likelihood that hazards are actually realised in each case.

As for cost-effective methods of hazard identification, that is as long as it is broad!! Hazards have to be identified, so the more contributions from a variety of sources that are received into the process, the more confident one can be that all possible hazards have been taken into account. On the one hand, an approach that calls on a "cast of thousands" might be overkill for a given task in given circumstances - but it may not be if the assessment relates to an activity that has the potential to harm many people if it is operated wrongly.

All too often in less risky circumstances, the entire assessment activity is interpreted as needing one person (the assessor), who uses his past experience and training alone. In more risky and/or higher profile circumstances, this is quite rightly expanded into a small group of involved people from different disciplines and experiences. They jointly brainstorm all of the possibilities, regardless of any thoughts about how far-fetched or infrequent they might be. Once done, scoring can be used to assess the possibilities (but that takes us on to the assessment process, and scoring need not be the only way forward).

So .... cost effective hazard identification can mean one assessor for half an hour in one case; can mean a team of 4-6 people for half a day (or even longer) in another case.

Hope I have helped rather than confuse - do e-mail me if you would like to discuss this in any greater detail. Click on my name at the top of this message to activate a message to me (or hover your mouse over my name to see the e-mail address at bottom left of your screen).

Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2001 00:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Randall
Hi Steve,

i don't really know why you want to know about "cost effective hazard ID methods" because cost effectiveness should not be the criteria that you use.

However, having said that I can tell you a simple way to get a quick overview of the potential hazards that may exist in a workplace. You make a list!

List all the departments and the activities that take place in them. From your knowledge of health and safety practice you will be able to identify "global" hazards like slippery and uneven floors and obstructed walking routes, fire hazards etc that exist in all workplaces. When you have done that you then go on to analyse the working practices and decide what safe systems of work should be in use.

Having done that fairly simple excercise you then go on to look at the actual situation. What specific physical hazards exist at the site due to its nature, i.e. in a plastics munufacturing facility there will be molten plastic etc.

Once you have identified the potential you then go and have a look! Observation is the key skill here and that is not rocket science but practice and experience. If the works is construction for example there will be all the usual physical hazards normally associated with that activity and so on. Do the working practices actually follow a safe system or do they have "old Spanish customs" and "shortcuts"?

I don't know how much more cost effective you can get than that. Of course it may be that you ar using the word hazard in a different way to me. I define a hazard as "anything that has a potential to cause harm" and, as I have said identifying hazards is simply a matter of observation, knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps,

Bob Randall