Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2001 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers
Please can someone provide me with the details of how often fork lift truck refresher training should take place.

I have looked at HSG6 and although it details training requirements I can't find any details on refresher requirements.

Thanks

Karen
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2001 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
Karen,
There is no specific requirement to provide refresher training after set intervals, but even trained and experienced lift-truck operators need to be re-assessed from time to time to ensure that they continue to operate lift trucks safely. This assessment, which should form part of a firm's normal monitoring procedure and be formally time-tabled to ensure that it is done at reasonable intervals, will indicate whether any further training is needed. In addition to routine safety monitoring, re-assessment might be appropriate where operators have not used trucks for some time, are occasional users, appear to have developed unsafe working practices, have had an accident or near miss, or there is a change in their working practices or environment. Employers may find it useful to record re-assessment in their safety monitoring records.
Most companies accept that best practice is that refresher training is given every three years.

Hope this helps.

If you require any further free information on this or any other H&S issues email me.

Robert Woods.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2001 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts
Karen,

Send me your email address or other contact details and I will forward some information to you.

Phil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 December 2001 01:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny MA
Karen,

U may try a professional UK forktruck training body calls AITT in web as: www.train-a-lift.co.uk. I believe they will give u all the information u need.

In Hong Kong the stutatory re-train interval for forktruck operators is once per 10 years. I think this is too long as the mandatory licences renewal intervals for all other machineries operators i.e. cranes etc. in Hong Kong is 3 years. I guess the difference was due to compromise between the local pressure groups & the legislative body.

X'MAS, Danny from Hong Kong
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2001 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees
Karen,

I am currently looking at this problem within my new workplace as we have a number of people who have not received any type of training since they passed their FLT test approx 10 years ago.

I agree with previous responses that 10 years is far too long, and would like to see HSE etc be more prescriptive with the timescale (after all, they are with First Aid requalification).

I have also contacted the RTITB who certify all trainers, training establishments etc and they recommend refresher training every 3 years. I am attemting to work towards this target, but only due to the nature of the business - large warehouse with high traffic etc. Your risk assessment should highlight how often you need to carry out refresher training, and possibly your accident/near miss record.

Don't forget to look at things like regular medicals and eye tests for all operators - we recently found out that one of our operators should be wearing glasses! I am also applying this policy to our electric hand pallet truck training.

Hope that this helps, and that I wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs.

Happy XMas.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2002 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
The other respondents are right about refresher training which from the vehicle manoevering point of view is not necessarily a problem. What concerns me is that legislative changes do occurr and these drivers are not updated on the specifc changes. I still find Hi-ab and tail-lift drivers who are totally unaware of the LOLER impacts

We need to ensure that no matter when people were last trained the process and syllabus are kept under active review. Changes not time must dictate.

Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2002 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees
Robert,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, but wonder whether refresher training every time that legislation changes would be a little too often to be practical.

What type of information within LOLER/PUWER etc do you feel would be applicable to an FLT operator that is not already covered within any normal training syllabus? Many of the changes that occur may, at worst, only apply to the trainer/H&S Manager, and not to the operator - or am I missing something?

Pete
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2002 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
The point is I think that the term refresher can be misleading. Training has too long been regarded as a one off and the real need is to keep it open to continuous monitoring and updated as required. As for PUWER and LOLER I could probably fill a comfortable 1/2 day with how the legislation changes affect matters.

Competency v training is also another key area and both are often equated as equivalents which they are clearly not

Bob
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 January 2002 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Firstly, have not viewed all responses to this thread - apologies!
Was speaking to an FLT trainer yesterday who said that it is normal for refresher/retraining courses to be done every three years and that legislation is pending to make it compulsory every year, primarily because of the bad habits users pick up.