Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2001 03:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By pschu Hi, I have participated in construction industry as a safety officer for several years. I am doubtful for the safety performance indicator. How to measure whether the site safety performance is good or not? Our safety department have formulated a number of such indicators e.g. accident rate, number of breaching of statutory requirements, cost of accident, accumulated days of accident free and so on. Anyway, I find that all of them cannot really pinpoint to our expectation. In my opinion, perhaps the size of the company car for the safety officer is a good indicator as it reflects the status of safety officer on the company. I seek your valuable comments regarding safety performance indicator. Regards, PS
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2001 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram HSE have recently published what I think is very useful guidance on a whole range of things you can measure, covering all elements of the HSG65 management system model - see "Measuring health & safety performance" on their website, under "What's New" w/c 3 December. They don't mention the safety advisors car, but it's an interesting idea! What HSE DO suggest is that any single measure is likely to be misleading - some form of 'balanced scorecard' which includes both leading and lagging indicators is ideal. They also quote "trying to measure to much is almost as bad as measuring too little". Good luck with trying to get your measuring right!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2001 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By pschu Ian, Thank you for your comment. Would you like to provide your mentioned website address in details to me? I had better study it in details. Regards, PS
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram It's at www.hse.gov.uk/new.htm - enjoy your read!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2002 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Hi PS I believe this came up a while ago on the forum and had a mixed response. My thoughts are that it would not be a useful indicator, as many companies,(mine included) have a good safety management system and managers who are very supportive of safety issues, but no company cars, so in comparison to a company with a poor safety system, but a safety officer with a clapped out mark 3 cortina*, ours would look worse. I think the reactive quantative measures i.e numbers of accidents etc are useful, we also have a target incident rate that we measure against. If you can find proactive things to measure it is even better. Simple things like managers attendance at safey meetings tells you a lot about a company and how it views safety issues. *(apologies to all the owners of mk 3 cortinas who may consider them as classics) Chris.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2002 01:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By pschu Hi Chris, I really have a negative response regarding the use of accident statistics alone as the safety performance indicator. In my company, because of the high pressure from the top management, the site management never report the accidents which are less than two weeks injury leave. Always, they are longer than one month. Such norm had been formed in my company in the root. Besides, the top management who are not mutual enough query why there are a number of accident occurred in a specified site although we have paid a high investment in safety aspect compared with the others. Regards, PS
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2002 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Hi PS Any statistics are only as good as the data used to collate them, so your under reporting will effect them. Equally we all know that the HSEs statistics based on RIDDOR reports are highly inacurate for the same reasons, but we still except them as a benchmark. I still have a concern that the size of the car may convince the senior managers that they are doing a good job but I would not like to try and use that argument with my local HSE inspector. I could see the conversation going like this: "hello Chris, I want to talk to you about how safety is being managed at this site". "oh yes Mr Inspector, I've got a nice new car and it's top of the range" "So!" "Well that means we're doing well on the safety side of things" "Hmmmm I had better take a closer look then" "Oh Oh" In my experience costs influence managers more than any other factor, if you can get to a situation where the costs of accidents are shown as a percentage of project costs it may help persuade those at the top that safety is important as it means more profit for them, of course you can only apply this to those accidents that are reported. I'm not in the construction industry so I could be talking out of my hat, Is this a common problem? Chris.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2002 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Gents, I think the company car indicator thing came about from some research from Zohar. Of course it's very tongue in cheek but can be a generalistic pointer to the emphasis the company places on safety, as it can inidcate the safety practitioners place in the management tree. How many Production Managers are without a company car? I think the first respondant was right in saying that no single measure alone can give a balanced view. All performance indicators are simply tools which should be used together (although not too many) to give a balanced view across the organisation. A mix of proactive (attitude surveys, safety inspections etc.) and reactive measures (accident stats, near misses etc.) would be best. I have just downloaded the HSE document but not read it yet, but the best document I have ever read on PI's was by Neil Budworth and gives advantages and disadvantages for every indicator. It can be dowloaded from www.web-safety.com (I really should be on commision Ciaran). Regards, Nick