Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2002 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie One of our day release students was recently injured as a result of horseplay in a classroom during a spell of unsupervised self-study. (We're an FE College) My first reaction was that this was not reportable, since he was not our employee, and the injury was not caused by a work activity, a view which was confirmed by the RIDDOR Reportline. However, the local training board rang the HSE area office who insist that since he was “at work” i.e. he had been sent to us by his employer, the accident should be reported. If this is so, then the report should surely be made by his employer? Firstly, is my first reaction right or wrong, and secondly what do I do now, since the local HSE office says it must be reported, but the Reportline won’t accept the report? Discuss!! Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2002 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I think this is reportable assuming the injured person was incapacitated from normal work for >3 days or suffered a major injury. It would be the employers responsibility to report it. Jack
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2002 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson I`d agree with your first instinct. Reg 2.2c Guidance note 35d lists conditions under which an accident involving a student would be reportable - if due to work organisation, plant, a substance or the condition of the premises. It could be argued that the work organisation should have reduced or eliminated the risk from horseplay to students, which would place the ball back in your court !
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2002 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack But this is an employee at work who as part of his work attends a college (where he is still paid as an employee). I seem to remember this being discussed when NADO (the forerunner to RIDDOR) was first introduced. Jack
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2002 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hello Laurie Have you considered getting the student's employers to fill out a good old fashioned paper F2508 (remember them?!) and sending it direct to the HSE local office? That should keep everyone happy.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2002 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Laurie, My thought processes would be: The student was a person not "at work" and therefore your responsibility to report would hinge on 1) was he taken to hospital straight after the incident, and 2) did it arise out of or in connection with work. Point 2) can be either an act or omission on the College's part & can include lack of supervision (but this usually involves younger children). So,only if you meet both criteria do the College have to report it. If however, the injury was "major" or >3 days,& the above criteria are not met, then it would be down to the employer to report. As my organisation are currently facing 2 charges of non-reporting under RIDDOR with a maximum fine of £5k per offence, I would heed the advice previously given & cover yourselves by reporting the incident if there is a shadow of doubt. I hope this helps! Zyggy.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2002 08:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Thanks everybody. My own thoughts have generally been echoed. It is up to the employer in this instance. I have offered to help the employer with the reporting procedure as they are unfamiliar with it, but so far without response. I don't see that we can do any more Laurie
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2002 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Laurie Something else to consider! The HSE issued advice for schools and colleges after the intro of RIDDOR. For pupils/students I recall that the main requirement was to report major injuries happening as a direct result of a failure on the part of the premises/organisation; OR if the injury occurred during an organised/supervised activity. The injured person is, despite being someone else's employee, a student at your FE College. Additionally, doesn't RIDDOR require the person in control of the premises where the incident occurs, to notify the HSE? Haven't read RIDDOR for yonks so can't be sure. Perhaps colleagues from the LA sector can comment on the first comment about the HSE / ESAC guidance on RIDDOR
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2002 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Bryn is quite right, Education Sheet 1 gives details on the HSE's requirements for reporting school accidents. I have some copies so if anyone wants one drop me your snail mail address and I'll pass it on. Whether or not an FE College would strictly count as a "school" is another matter for debate!!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2002 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack The HSE leaflet Bryn refers to is available on HSE website. I believe the principles in it would apply to FE colleges. However, the crucial difference in this case is that the student is an employee who is at the college as part of his employment. Therefore it is up to the employer to report it (if its reportable) rather than the college. I feel the college should inform the employer about the accident but then it is up to the employer. A similar situation can arise with Agency staff who are employed by the Agency but have an accident in the whilst working in another employers premises. Jack
Admin  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2002 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Surely the key issue is that the incident is reported, not that the employer does so. The legal responsibility may lie with the employer, but where another organisation can be considered complicit in not reporting an event, they could potentially be drawn into the affair. That takes care of both the college/school scenario (of which I have no H&S experience) and the Agency/Client scenario (of which I have plenty). Many well-intentioned Employment Agencies can vouch for the fact that they recognise/accept responsibility for reporting accidents incurred by their employees, but finding out that an accident has occurred is another matter. In such cases, it is only right that the "heat" for non-reporting should be shared with a client that knew, but chose to say nothing formal to anybody. In my opinion Laurie, there's no justification for further shilly-shallying in this case - I think it was Bryn who said you should report it and obviously, name the employer when doing so. If that means using a paper form because the National Reporting Centre won't accept the scenario, so be it (but why not simply do it on-line?). Equally, you should always make sure that all "interested" parties receive a copy. In my experience, the latter distribution can become complex, such as an employment agency (the employer), a contractor (the agency's client) and a contractor's client (ultimate user of the individual's services). But what difference, as long as RIDDOR is satisfied and no matter where "you" find yourself in this complexity, nobody can point the finger and accuse you of trying to avoid reporting the event? Mike
Admin  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2002 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Just read RIDDOR and believe Jack is correct but do take note of the Education guidance (as an FE College)regarding students.if in doubt err on the side of caution & report it. If the Response Line won't take it, send a form in. Done and dusted - have a good weekend - I'm off to look down a bottle of Southern Comfort!!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 11 January 2002 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Sorry for appearing ever more pedantic on this one but I think there is a reason why it is important to get this right. That is that for day release students the reporting trigger (major injury or >3 day) is different from other students (going to hospital). Whilst the college will be aware when students go direct to hospital from the college they will probably not be aware that an employee has time off from work as a result of the accident and quite possibly won’t be aware of some major injuries. Therefore in order to help the employer (the colleges customer) to comply with his/her obligations it is best to inform him/her of all accidents which occur to the day release student so that they are in a position to report it. And now for that drink.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 12 January 2002 22:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I also find the HSE position on reporting injuries in educational establishments less than clear and open to different interpretations by diferent HSE officers. As to whether there has been a failure of the organisation, who is to say that a parent or solicitor won't try to argue this some time after an unreported incident? I've had a parent who got the HSE involved claiming that one of our schools had failed to exercise proper control when their child ran into a tennis net during a game! My view is that it's better to report something that didn't need to be reported than not to report something that should have been. In other words, If in doubt - do it.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2002 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I think both Jack and Ken Taylor offer lucid and correct explanations - but isn't it sad that at the last resort the best we can say is 'if in doubt, report it' on the well-known GYA principle? (Acronym to be expanded in private!) And what changes are round the corner in RIDDOR? It's a bet that this kind of question won't be resolved by them. Allan
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 January 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Thanks for the further responses. Just to clarify the situation - yes the employer was informed straightaway, as were the lad's parents, standard procedure in most educational establishments I think. What I am facing here is an "instruction" from the local enterprise company to take an action under health and safety law. In my view their interpretation of the law is wrong. The HSE guidance leaflet is quite clear - was the person involved taken to hospital (he wasn't) and (and the leaflet emphasises that "and") did the accident arise out of or in connection with work. In my view it did not, but even if I am wrong (it has been known!) the first criterion was still not met I too am sad that some of the responses have been advice to GMA (but nonetheless welcome, and gratefully received) but that is becoming increasingly the modern way. I suspect most safety officers sometimes have to put something in writing just for this reason Laurie
Admin  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2002 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Still trying to work out the acronyms! There are obviously many views on this situation but at the end of the day if I were in the same position and wasn't completely clear I would still err on the side of caution. I'm not one for doing things for the sake of it but it's just that on the sliding scale of risk, absolutely correct adherance to reporting under RIDDOR is too low to waste time on. 95% or more of RIDDOR incidents are very clear cut and reported. Dotting 'i's and crossing 't's for the remainder? Sorry , got to move on swiftly to saving the world and it's dog, or at least checking out the problem that caused the RIDDOR in the first place. Report and get it out of the way.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2002 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Laurie, I’m getting confused!! You say the IP didn’t go to hospital. Did he/she suffer a major injury or were they incapacitated for normal work more than 3 days? Jack
Admin  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2002 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jack This was a "three day injury" Laurie