Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2002 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lumb Do any of my NHS, Local Authority or any other colleagues have any recent information relating to Private Cars used for business purposes for which the employee recives a car allowance. Should we photo copy driving licences, if so how often. What about MOT certificates and insurance? What are the legal requirements? Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2002 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marie Dolman Hi Nigel, On the recommendation of our insurers I do the following:- 1. Retain a copies of driving licences for all drivers requiring cover on our motor insurance. You should check the reason for any points on the licence ie. for serious offences or those which you or your insurers may not be happy to cover. 2. Each driver signs a declaration on an annual basis stating that there have been no changes to their licence that I have on file. If changes have occured ie. convictions, a new copy licence is requested and I ask our brokers to confirm how it may affect their cover (or our premium!) 3. In addition, on an annual basis, all drivers sign to confirm their vehicle is "in a roadworthy condition and is covered by a valid MOT certificate and current road tax disc" (I don't ask to see these) I hope this helps! Marie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2002 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson It is my understaning that if an employee uses their vehicle for the purposes of their employment other than just driving to say another office, it could then be classed as work equipment. As such it would then come within the regulation for the same, requireing evidence of regular servicing, sight of a valid MOT and the correct insurance (beware of an employer who says you are covered by their insurance).It is preferable to have a written contingency plan to cover what to do in the event of a breakdown, accident or suddent illness. Lone workers should be considered also where circumstances dictate especialy females. Any other opinions would be welcomed. Ian stevenson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2002 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper My company asks to see driving licenses on an annual basis. It also takes copies of car insurance certificates. It is a company rule that if an employee changes his or her insurance company then the new policy should be submitted for inspection and copying. There is the expectation that private cars used on company business, where a mileage rate is paid as reimbursement, have full comprehensive insurance. All of the above is contained in company instructions. Hope that helps. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2002 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Just a thought, but I would venture to suggest that it is unlikely that you have done all that is reasonably practicable if you have simply asked employees to sign a form saying that their vehicle is roadworthy and taxed and insured. If their job depended on this, would it not be "reasonably foreseeable" that employees would sign whatever they had to? Sorry for being devils advocate. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2002 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House On the insurance front, you would need to ensure that the type of insurance is what is commonly known as class 2 motor insurance, that is to say that the cover extends to include use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for the business of the policyholder or that of his employer or partner. If the vehicle were only used for occasional business use (i.e. going to the bank to pay in company cheques), then it is possible for a policy holder to have the term 'occaasional business use' added to their Social, domestic and pleasure (class 1) insurance, usually at no extra cost. On the driving licence front, I insist on taking a copy of the person's driving licence, and then having sight of the original on a quarterly basis. If any details change, then I take a new copy. Please be aware that if you have a colour copier, then make sure that you only copy licences in mono, as taking a colour copy of driving licences is an offence. Again, vehicles are checked by myself on a regular (usually monthly) basis, with the driver present, to ensure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition. The driver then countersigns the vehicle checklist that I have used to state that they agree with any observations that I have made, and that they agree to have any defective areas brought up to standard.