Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2002 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joy Tutty As a Safety Consultant for my company I have been asked by our French group to be the support for our French safety Rep. Does anyone know where I can obtain copies of the French version of the 6 pack translated into English.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2002 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hallo Joy, this is probably a bit of a long shot but you could try the International Labour Organisation which I believe is based in Geneva. Sorry I don't know of anything a bit more local.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2002 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Joy, In brief no such documents exist. As you know the "6 pack" was derived from the EU directives. The directives largely incorporated into EU law what was already law in France and Germany. I am not aware of any new french law developed to meet the directives, they simply modified (or not) their existing laws. The French do not seem to translate their documents (but then again neither do we). For information the German government is in the process of producing English versions of some of their EHS laws and regulations, etc. If you approach the problem from the perspective of preventing accidents and ill health then it is safe to assume that in general most of what is good practice here would be good practice in France. There are however many legal pitfalls as French H&S law is very closely connected to French labour laws. This means that the groups like works councils, etc have a high status. There are many other stricter requiremetns in France eg: the requirement for an Occupational Health Nurse for sites with more than 500 employees. I would suggest you "adopt" a good friend who either is French or is familiar with the French system. I hope this is of some help. If you need more information let me know. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2002 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber PS: Joy if you do come across anything let me know, I gave up searching for it many years ago. In addition I can put you in touch with an organisation that will (for a price) find out anything you need to know about French or other countries legislation. Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2002 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Joy, one of the previous replies was correct - there is no French 6-pack. Different bits of european legislation have been implemented in france at different speeds. However, I work mainly in france as a SHE consultant and am reasonably familiar with the safety legislation and the "code de travail" If I can offer any help, please send an email to insafety@fc-net.fr Best regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2002 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You could ask a French reader to visit http://fr.osha.eu.int/legislation/
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2002 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan For galactic hitch-hikers and those who wish to translate between the main European languages, you could do worse than visit this site: http://world.altavista.c.../gben/pos/babelfish/trns I have found it very useful for correspondence, and translating shorter documents. You cut and paste, or type in short paragraphs, select the from and to languages and voila (see it works) you have a reasonable translation. It won't always take on board colloquialisms, and spelling errors can give some strange results. It will also transalte web-pages, again by keying in the URL and selecting the from and to language. Philip
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2002 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Merci Philip de l'adresse de Web. Ceci devrait s'avérer utile à bon nombre d'entre nous. Convertira-t-il Euros en pounds aussi?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2002 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Ken, Je ne puis pas voir la conversion de devise sur le site, mais ce lien fera cela pour vous. http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=VND&t=CLP (currency converter) I also see that Babelfish now translates Chinese, Korean and Japanese. Philip
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Philip, So another three potential members of the EEC (États-Unis de l'Europe)!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2002 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Just because we have implemented 6 EC directives as the so called "6 pack" does not mean that other EC countries have followed an identical approach. Each EC country has its own system. For example, the Republic of Ireland has implemented these 6 directives plus our equivalent of RIDDOR, FIRST AID, EAWR (to an extent)into a single set of regulations called "SAFETY, HEALTH AND WELFARE AT WORK (GENERAL APPLICATION) REGULATIONS, 1993-as amended. The best place for to start with is the European agency website and go to the focal point of the relevant country. Some have information in English, albeit limited.Then use one of the translation software. For non-EC countries, especially those not on the European agency website, the ILO SafeWork website is a good resource. It has the LEGOSH database that has abstracts of individual country Occupational Health & Safety legislation. The disadvantage of this is that the database is only as good as the information on it--alas, some countries have not provided the full information. As a last resort, you can contact the CIS centre for the country concerned and request them for details--but this can be time consuming. Details of CIS centres can be accesed thro' the HSE or ILO Safework websites.