Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2002 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Regular readers will remember my recent thread on whether to report an injury to a non-employee caused by horseplay. My boss did not believe that the Reportline had told me it was not repordable (nice to have the confidence of your management isn't it?) and rang the Reportline herself. She was told that yes, it is reportable, but is is recorded as non-reportable accident!!! Now, apart from making me look a right prat to my boss, this is surely bureaucracy gone made? Instaed of having reportable and non- reportable accidents, we now have a third category - non-reportable accidents which must be reported! TGIF. Beam me up Scotty! Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2002 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Laurie Get your hands on that Southern Comfort and it'll all become very clear!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2002 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I have now discussed this at length with the Reportline, and it appears that anyone, repeat anyone, whether or not they have any direct involvement, and whether or not it is actually "reportable" under RIDDOR, can insist on an accident being reported,and it will be recorded as a "Non-reportable Accident". In this I referred to earlier the student was happy, his parents were happy, his employer was happy and HSE was happy, but the local enterprise company insisted the accident was reported, and therefore, according to the Reportline, I have to report it (I have now done so). I would like to know of any legislative requirements for this, because this could be total anarchy! We have 20,000+ students (and we are only the fifth largest college in the country!)and when our Catering & Hospitality students start chopping vegetables in September we do get the odd plaster on a cut finger. It now seems that anyone can insist that all of these (and the Horticulture, and the Welding, and the Construction etc) must be reported! This surely cannot be right I would be interested in others views. While the Reportline may have nothing better to do, I certainly do! Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2002 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack What a shambles. In my view we should stick to what RIDDOR requires & to hell with reporting "non reportable" accidents. And with regard to who should report them we should also stick to the rules in RIDDOR. (ie in the case of the accident which was the subject of your recent posting it was not reportable by you but by the students employer)