Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2002 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw I wanted to take a straw pole with other organisations to see whether any of you make additional payments to staff who volunteer to be first aiders. Currently we pay ours approx £245 pa for this additional responsibility. What, if anything, do other organisations pay? Personally I have reservations about making payments as I feel people sometimes volunteer to get the money, not because it is something that interests them. Comments please. Sarah
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2002 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods What differance does it make if they do it for the money? Although I can't see people fighting to earn an extra £5.10 per week. the very fact that you are a first aider makes you more employable. surely you are not against self development? I have worked as a contractor in various industries food,chemical, manufacturing to name but a few and the payments varied from £5-£30 per week usually, depending on the size of the company. the payment can be fixed or added to hourly rates[the method preffered by the employee]. Why not volunteer yourself and become one of the overpaid elite.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2002 01:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson Our organisation does not pay its first aiders payments as such as all staff receive basic first aid training but we do have advanced first aid trained individuals, they are part of the overall emergency response team. They do receive paid gym membership, paid leave or time in lieu to attend training on and off site and various other little incentives (usually kept secret among themselves!). All of the team members do this quite freely for personal growth as well as making a huge contribution to the morale and safety management on site. We have an excellent H&S culture and have 100% management support in H&S matters and this has helped make our response team proactive and professional. This probably has more to do with the number of volunteers we have than any rewards offered to entice participation!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2002 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie We pay £240 pa Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell We currently pay £520 per annum, a company not too far and linked to us pay £260 per annum. I suppose it is horses for courses. I speak to all volunteers before putting them on the course, I can usually find out why they want to do the course. 5-10 p/week is not the biggest motivator. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2002 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colette Herbert All our First Aiders receive an extra weeks ages. For this they must respond to accidents, carry out a number of safety inspections and attend scheduled training sessions. It works well for us. Regards Colette
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2002 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colette Herbert All our First Aiders receive an extra weeks ages. For this they must respond to accidents, carry out a number of safety inspections and attend scheduled training sessions. It works well for us. Regards Colette
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2002 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I recently raised this with our organisation, and was informed that additional payments were not an option as NHS pay scales are fixed by a national formula. The rationale was that many people have special functions, and as these are carried out within their normal work pattern, ie there is no EXTRA work involved, just ALTERNATIVE activities, there is no justification for extra payments. In past life in the private sector I received an honourarium for first aider duties which would be about £150pa in today's money.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2002 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marie Dolman Hi Sarah, We also pay a similar amount to you. I get the impression that many of our first aiders are driven by the ability to use their qualification in their personal lives as much as for work ie. those with young families and even one person who was able to offer his new skills as part of his "other role" as a martial arts instructor! Marie.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2002 19:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery If people did not volunteer to be first-aiders how would employers meet their obligations for provision ? I believe that the payment , little as it is , is a very cheap investment for employers and does not go far enough for the added responsibilities undertaken by the employee/first-aider . Most people undertake to become a first-aider to help others and to enhance their own skills , for anyone to quibble as to how "little" they pay for someone else to take the added responsibility is beyond reason ,if no-one volunteered to be first-aider employers would be facing the expense of recruiting trained medical staff to fulfil their obligations at much more than the pittance currently paid to most first-aiders . Instead of boasting about how little extra[if anything] you provide , your time would be better spent supporting those that do take on the added resposibility of first-aider . Regards David
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 January 2002 00:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT Being a Qualified First Aider and holder of a Current First Aid at Work Certificate, the question needs to be ask on how you are approaching the subject of your Straw Pole? I suspect that you are a manager with a budget, not a First Aider and that you have not experienced first hand the thorough training required to pass the (or ordeal) practical examination under very realistic test conditions. How about a straw pole of senior managers in your workplace - how many of them are First Aiders? Could they be interested in undertaking this role Gratis? If the going rate of was Higher, for them? I doubt it! Fat Cats are prone to TIA and Coronary Thrombosis, probably the most vunerable members of the workforce! I work for a Government Department who will not reward colleagues for undertaking the role of First Aiders in the workplace. On raising the issue of reognition for services provided, (a Hamper at Christmas), I was ruled out of hand by a manager who was a first aider sometime after the (boer)war, (things change so quickly in First Aid) & whose attitude was very similar to yours. Any incentive, financial or otherwise does not make those who volunteer to become First Aiders any less capable of delivering First Aid. I am sure that if you were ever in a position to require the services of a First Aider the last thing on your mind would be how much they are getting extra each week. From reading through the responses I believe your notion has been thoroughly rebuked by forum colleagues, Hurrahh. It would appear that colleagues support payment for First Aiders in the workplace. I would suggest (in the nicest possible terms) that you may benefit from getting your "hands dirty" and then poling colleagues on how much you think First Aiders should be paid minimally for performing such a vital role in the workplace. Sarah, take heart, there is light(heartedness) and the end of the tunnel!Think of the savings in euro's for not having to provide an occupational health support team and associated facilities costs, during your hours of business? Could an employer realisticly afford to remunerate for the piece of mind in knowing that H&S obligations are fully met? If this is getting too much why not levy a fee on visitors to your premises to pay for any incidental First Aid they may require, this could be a real money spinner! Beter still why not take it out of the Shareholders dividend? Colleagues I move that Sarah negotiates for double the remuneration that her First Aiders are in receipt of and further provide them with a decent hamper at Christmas! All those in Favour? Regards Patrick Teyhan
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 January 2002 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Many thanks to everyone who has given me insight into other company rewards (or not as the case may be. To show that I am not an old dinosaur, at least I hope not at 37, I have taken on board everyones comments. I perhaps should have outlined my views a little more clearly. First aiders invariably do volunteer and do the work and are not soley motivated by the money. However when you look at it, it is such a derisery sum that it doesn't feel right. I have also been asked by our first aiders to have the same money as our emergency sqaud members (fire and spillage response), which I do not think is appropriate as these people do "risk" more. The upshot of this is, I think that both groups should be on more money. For the first aiders I need to taken several actions. 1) Ensure we have suitable insurance to meet and liability claims which may placed on them as individuals. 2) As they are the means to which the company meets its legal obligations, I do need to pay more (although we do have part time occ. health support & its not my budget). 3) They need their status raised in the company so that managers support them and don't whine when they leave their job to attend a scene (a rare event). 4) Ensure that they are given training beyond the certificate to help them develop further. The later two points are being dealt with and we are giving new equipment, bum bags for kit, walkie talkies etc. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I am willing to support them whole heartedly. By the way I like the idea of the hamper too. Many thanks for the help and support. As always your are willing to share your experiences. Sarah
Admin  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2002 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Just to put a bit of fat onto the fire I was paid a F/A honorarium of £220 p.a. back in 1973. That was in the chemical industry and we were paid 2hrs extra per month to receive refresher training between 3 and 5pm once per month, bear in mind this was a shift rota. If you try to work this figure out a shift salary was approx £8000 pa in those days Bob
Admin  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2002 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Sarah, Im surprised that your concerened about paying your first aiders. Your workining in an environment of chemicals, solvents and bioreagents at the scientific company in your e-mail address (Hello Martin). To be honest considering the worst case scenarios your first aiders could end up in im surprised your not offering them more money. Mind you its possible that youve already decided that from a HR point of view this cash has to stop, after all as already pointed out what would the shareholders think of paying extra money to the workforce? You can stop the payments and then see how many people want to continue as first aiders? Its an additional responsibility that they dont have to have, its the company that has the duty to provide the first aiders and it isnt a duty to volunteer. Ashley
Admin  
#15 Posted : 25 January 2002 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede In British Railways days (pre privatisation)employees who were first aiders were offered additional days leave and free travel tickets over the UK rail network. Since privatisation most of these concessions have been removed as firms have sought to impose 'clean' terms and conditions i.e. basic pay and holiday and nothing else. The upshot of this is that the availability of first aiders has declined as the old hands have retired and few have been incentivised to take their place. However when we use subcontractors they are obliged to provide first aiders on their sites and this usually turns out to be the foreman. So perhaps the answer is to write it into job descriptions so there is a requirement for certain staff to have this skill.