Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2002 22:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Benison I have been reading AIS23 and its supplement for teachers as well as the Task Force on E-Coli documents. What I am looking for is some guidance on specifics of Camping etc for an upcoming event. We have followed guidance on the field, water supply etc. But the problem we are having is finding advice on what we need to do on cleanliness of the taps and if we should supply a hose between the tap and container or let indivduals use their own. Any pointers on where to look would be welcomed. Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2002 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By irene bezant David, Your local Environmental Health Department ( food safety) will be able to give you sound advice regarding these issues.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2002 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Benison Environmental Health Department Hmmm nice thought but the event is this year! And our local Department is not the fastest. Thanks though, I should really have thought of that myself but you know what happens when you are to close to a problem Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2002 19:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey David, I would think that your big problem will be maintaining good drainage and hygiene at the water source and not allowing contamination to occur. Assuming that the water is from a clean portable source, I would not run a hose that will be in contact with the ground unless that is to another mounted tap point. There is always risk of hose contamination so don't use an old bit of garden hose (I have seen it done before). Think about how the area will stay clean, E-Coli will be present in one form or another as it is a common intestinal flora. However keeping any bacterial count down is what you should be concerned with. If the water source is cold, you will have to sanitise the area and it will no doubt become muddy and dirty throughout the day, so this process will have to be repeated. Also beware if your are camping on a none campsite area and there is animal waste around, this may not be a direct issue if your water hygiene is good but can enter the food chain very easily. Hope this helps, contact me directly if you have any other concerns I might be able to help with. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2002 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis You have not given any age indication concerning the pupils for this holiday. Communal taps are always a problem particularly as young people think it OK to affix their mouths to the tap in order to drink direct without a cup. I suspect that the tap contamination will be less of a problem than carrying sufficient water to ensure good hygiene in the kitchen. Most seasoned campers will use water sterilising tablets in a marked container for drinking water, even if from a mains supplied communal tap. Other water will be boiled for cooking or washing up! (I hope) Washing of hands is the other problem before handling, touching, eating, or handing to someone else food. Also after use of toilets/latrines. Good quality soap and water cannot be beaten. For food preparation there are available many suitable antiseptic handwipes if the food is to be eaten cold. I know some who swear by the coal tar type soaps but this I believe is over the top a touch. The old fashioned remedy is to spend a few decades exposing the pupils to the organisms so that the immunity we had generations ago can be restored. This I think falls into the not reasonably practicable!!! Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2002 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Benison I am still waiting for the promised return call from Environmental Health. Their response was "our responsibility ends at the tap". I then repeated my request for guidance on my responsibilities vis-a-vis cleanliness of the tap. As I say I'm still waiting. Personal cleanliness is not the problem, it is the risk of contamination at the tap by a campers hose or the risk of a single hose being contaminated by a dirty container. I am leaning towards a short length of food quality hose on the tap, but well clear of the ground. Dave
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2002 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By irene bezant David, Minimalist thought, why are you thinking of using a hose? Just use the tap. Water quality to the tap should be of drinking water quality. Irene
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2002 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Have a look at the advice given by the Scout Association on their web site. http://www.scoutbase.org...cs/headline/000617aa.htm This basically reinforces the advice given above. Hand washing is the most important preventative measure - and don't forget those collecting the water. John
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2002 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Benison Unfortunately the minimalist approach will not work. We have to transport a barrel of 6-10 gallons of water that is about 18 inches high. The water tap is 3 feet off the ground and it is usually windy :-) However, I have had a reply from environmental health and I will be talking more to them tomorrow. The Scout advice has been read, after reading the New Deer case in the E-Coli task force report I went straight to the scout organisation. Thanks Folks Dave