Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2002 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Don Mason Seeking help as I am anything but an expert in this one. The proposal in my Authority is to allow persons of 14 years of age and above to use weight rooms. (Currently restricted to age 16+). Any thoughts, standards, knowledge of incidents, advice, rules etc etc. Many thanks in anticipation. (If you have'nt applied for my job at the top of page 105 of the January Practitioner, closing date is 1st Feb).
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2002 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands Hi Don, Please contact the British Amateur Weight Lifting Association (BAWLA)- they will point you in the right direction - sorry I don't have the number. It's simply about having the man power to sufficiently supervise the activity . If the latter is not possible (never is in Local Government!!), consider allowing 14 year olds to attend the weight training rooms with persons aged 18 or over. I would also advise that you produce a written policy of your proposals and ensure staff enforce them. Do you have any current written policy/procedures in place? Regards Dyfed
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2002 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Don Mason Many thanks Dyfed. You are right about the staffing problems. I shall contact BAWLA. We do have policies but a little bit dated now. Leisure Services are looking at them all. Thanks again. Don
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2002 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Don, Would completely agree with the comments about the need for supervision. Does the Council have a procedure for fitness assessments of clients prior to them using the facilities and if so can they take into account young people?? The BALPE guidlines, which I know are education based recommends that any teachers supervising this activity should have had training through BAWLA. I am sure that you already have regular equipment tests undertaken by a competent contractor. There is a ggod book on the design of all sports facilities out of interest: Handbook of Sports and Recreational Building design Vol 2 - Indoor sports by John and Campbell (Sports Council)1995 Regards Barry