Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2002 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment I currently have piling contractors working in a quadrangle surrounded by offices, labs etc. Drilling, augering is giving certain areas 109dbs (max not leq) for a large part of the day. Due to unforeseen circumstances this phase will last for the next 3 weeks and short of sending everyone home I may insist on acoustic screening. Can anyone advise on whether this would bring about a sufficient drop in noise levels. I have already asked Estates for CDM plan, noise assessments, options for night / weekend working etc. Any advice appreciated before I stick my size 10s in it!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2002 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Brian, You can assume that screening will give approximately 10dB attenuation is the noise source is completely covered (i.e. source to receiver path), but if it is surrounded by office blocks this will be difficult unless the highest noise levels are close to the ground. Impact noise (you mentioned Lmax) should be controlled by substitution if possible, by using pressure instead of impact etc. e-mail me eith further details and I can advise you further on the best method of noise control.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2002 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock ...sorry, should read "Bryn"
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2002 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Paul Many thanks for the advice. I cannot get through to you via e.mail so am publicly airing my problem here again! The main noise is a caterpilar mounted JCB arm thingy with a pneumatic attachment. This is drilling at , or below, ground level. Would screening be effective if direct line of noise is covered or would the acoustic 'bounce' off walls negate any increase. I didn't measure pressure or pascal noise, simply a max level (109dbs). The leq was lower but still above the second action level. Really need to know whether or not to stick my neck out and insist on the acoustic stuff. Weekend working will extend the project duration but at least no-one will be exposed. Moving staff away from these areas is not viable. Sending them home certainly is, with those noise levels but the impact on the hospital service will be too great. Thanks again for any advice
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2002 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas Bryn Assuming the CDM Regs applies to the scheme, you should bear in mind the responsibility of the Principal Contractor in controlling health and safety on site - pertinent to those outside the works as well as those operating the piling rig in this instance - ask for sight of the construction phase h&s plan, you may well find that the contractor has deviated from the approved method of working as laid down in the plan (or am I being a little cynical). Any Planning Supervisor worth his/her corn should have raised the issue of noise at a very early stage in the tender/contract proceedings. I appreciate this response isn't specific in dealing with the noise levels per se but as you will be aware, there's more than one way of skinning the proverbial moggy. Regards Rob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2002 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Check whether the ontractor is using the new super-silent equipment- The noise levels you give suggest that this is not so. The acoustic barriers are only of use for those at ground level. Measure levels inside the nearest windows or consider decanting staff away from affected areas. Time limitations are also useful but be aware that there are restrictions on the hours of construction noise in some situations which are Local Authority defined in planning consents. Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2002 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks for yr responses - am dealing with the CDM side of things and some of the more obvious measures. Robert - Am intrigued by the 'super silent' equipment - can you whet my appetite further? Have tried to e.mail you direct without success Regards
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2002 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment The noisy pecker has now gone, and taken 109dbs with it; auger to have a muffler sleeve put on it; screening is go! Can anyone recommend an acoustic screening contractor in London / S. East?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Bryn, try looking in the "Directory" section at www.noisenet.org - failing that I have the Institute of Acoustics Members Register on hand. If you're having problems with my e-mail please try maddock_paul@hotmail.com Regrds, Paul Maddock.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2002 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Many thanks Paul! I'm off next week but have passed the 'noisenet' link to the relevant surveyor. - that should do.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 01 February 2002 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Bryn Much of the new equipment is designed to give lower noise emission and these are often termed as super-silent as they run about 15-20dBa lower than standard. Most groundwork contractors know exactly what you are saying but look blank because they have the old gear readily available. Don't ask - Instruct. Pete Robertshaw at Geoffrey Osborn's has had this problem before like many civils contractors. Certainly Herrass are one of the manufacturers Bob