Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2002 06:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant I have came across a small section in my NEBOSH study notes that refers to inert dusts or nuisence particles, and tells me that they collect in the lung, but have not direct harmful affects, examples given include soot, clay, gypsum and cement. Is this true? I know the lungs are subjected to and deal with all types of pollution every day, but I would have though that anything that gets into the lung that shouldn't be there has has the potential to cause harm. Any comments or views appreciated. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2002 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm sure that you are basically right and would even argue that some of your list are not particularly 'inert' - which is more to do with lack of chemical reaction than physical harm leading to disease.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2002 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment These inert particles are of such a size that they are trapped and cleared by the trachea's mucous membranes and ciliated cells (sticky & hairy ones!). The ciliary motion is upwards where the stuff is expelled. Cement - inert? Cement + moisture = alkaline solution = burns / irritation
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2002 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant Thanks again for all your comments, I must admit although I'm no expert I thought that the cement dust could be considered harmful. I think that section of my notes should be approached with caution.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2002 00:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery Graham , Re-cement dust . It is not known what effect cement dusts have on the respiratoy tract as not enough research has been done [or possibly released]into this .OSHA literature describes portland cement as a "potential carcinogen",[8 hour TWA,50mppcf] ordinary portland cement is made up of the following :- 60-67% lime , 17-25% silica , 2-8% alumina , 0-6% iron oxide , 1-7% sulphur trioxide , 0.1-5% magnesia and 0.1-1.5% alkalis.Chromates [chromium [v1] compounds], cement can almost certainly cause respiratory problems , HSE information sheet on cement says may cause respiratoy problems .I personally have suffered from a pre-cancerous growth in my frontal sinus which was removed by surgery , there is a possibility that exposure over the years to cement dusts could be responsible ,I also have asthma [which doctors think is occupational] there is very little information available on the potential for health hazards from cement apart from "burns and skin irritation", my own thoughts are that definitive research might well open the flood gates for industrial disease claims , but like almost everything else it depends on the amount of exposure and the length of time exposed , if you trawl the net you will eventually find some information but give yourself plenty of time. best of luck David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2002 07:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Graham, I would refer you to a good toxicology textbook such as Casarett & Doull's Toxicology or Principles of Toxicology Williams et al. Whilst all dusts should be controlled, not all exposures are harmful. The hazard posed by each dust depends upon the dose, its morphology, physical, chemical & toxicological properties and how the individual’s body interacts with it. Some dusts produce effects, such as iron that produces radiological opaque bodies, but does not appear to cause clinical disease. This type of dust was originally described as "nuisance dust". However in recognition of the fact that there are many dusts that have not been fully characterised and thus may cause disease this term is no longer used. Concrete dust is a complex mixture of substances. It is alkaline, hydroscopic & the particles tend to agglomerate when damp. It contains chromates; hexavelant chromium is a known lung carcinogen. The few studies carried out confirm that it effects the upper respiratory system, as is to be expected. However, no epidemiological studies have shown excesses of lung cancer. Another of the materials listed, smoke is definitely not a nuisance dust. Smoke is the product of burning carbonaceous materials. These materials contain known carcinogens. Epidemiological studies have consistently shown an excess of lung cancers in those exposed to smoke emissions. I hope that this is of some help. Regards Adrian Watson LLM MSc Dip Occ Hyg FBIOH ROH FIOSH RSP MCIEH
Admin  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2002 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I agree that uncured cement dust has all the properties that have been mentioned. However, it is still commonly called cement after it has been cured, when it has quite different properties - we don't wear chemical protective clothing to sit on set concrete after all! Perhaps we need to carefully distinguish between the two. I'm a little confused about the presence of sulphur trioxide in the ingredients list - I am aware that gypsum may be present in the product, is this the origin? It cannot actually be in the form of sulphur trioxide, since this chemical is a gas. Jane
Admin  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2002 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack and isn't clay dust silica which is certainly not harmless & from memory has an MEL of 0.3
Admin  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2002 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas Graham The following is my response to a thread started on January 5th 2002 concerning cement dust hazards. HSE Guidance Note EH 65/12 details exposure, measurements, toxicokinetics and toxic effects on animals and humans of Portland Cement. Interstingly enough, the document states that 'The ability of cement dust to produce respiratory sensitisation is unclear. There is evidence that repeated inhalation exposure of humans to Portland cement dusthas produced rhinitis, chronic productive cough, slight abnormalities on chest radiography and impaired lung function. However, where effects on lung function have been reported, it must be acknowledged that the quality of the studies is such that the evidence for a true effect of cement dust remains inconclusive.' As I stated in my posting of early January, it would seem that there is more work to be done on the subject. Any one for an MSc? Regards Rob
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2002 17:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Here's another interesting snippet on the subject of dusts! from the Guardian: The term monkey business has taken on a new meaning as hundreds of movie extras from Planet of the Apes sue Fox Entertainment for emotional distress. Fox Entertainment, a unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, faces lawsuits from the extras who say they were exposed to cancer-causing powder during the shooting of a dust storm scene in the remake of the 1968 classic. Court documents show the actors have filed a class action suit for fraud and deceit, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The suit, first reported in the Hollywood Reporter, demands unspecified compensation and punitive damage and was filed in Los Angeles on Tuesday by Jeffrey Clark, representing other extras. The actors, who played apes and humans, claim they were exposed to around 80,000lbs of Fuller's Earth powder, containing - they say - a lung irritant and known carcinogen called crystalline silica. The scene was filmed over 10 to 12 days in a desert outside LA, during which the actors were exposed to the dust for six to eight hours a day without the use of face masks, which are recommended by the powder's makers, the suit said. In addition to compensatory and punitive damages, the extras are seeking any profits made from the movie, which was directed by Tim Burton.