Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2002 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Newman
I have been asked to advise on suitable footwear for staff in our post room, (mainly female). They sort post and deliver and collect it using trolleys, indoors and out, they walk long distances daily.

We have not had any incidents of foot injury but the potential is there. Is protective footwear with 200/100 joule toe protection over the top for such work? Do other organisations have a policy on safety footwear for such activities?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2002 17:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Hi Karen,
From my local government days and beyond, postroom staff were not provided with protective footwear as they were not involved with lifting or carrying items that, in terms of risk assessment, presented an injury risk to the foot. Heavy items were, however, left to the porters - who were provided with anti-slip footwear with toe protection. Good grip, suitability for pushing trolleys, weather resistance and toe protection seem to be the main issues here and whether the staff you have in mind will need to be provided with footwear that requires any of these qualities will be a matter for risk assessment and negotiation.
Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2002 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
If you have already concluded there is a risk (you said 'the potential is there') then provide them.
How do you recommend a particular sort of boot/shoe without advertising...
I would go for the ones with the air cushioned soles that Dr's tend to wear. These give adequate protection for your needs and are very comfortable for those high-mileage post runs.