Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2002 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ruth Clark
We have machines sent to us for sale and distribution by our parent company in Spain who manufacture them. The machines weigh around 150kg and are awkward to move about, especially when they are set up. There are currently no weight warning stickers on the machines and the manual that comes with them has v. vague health and safety information. Who is responsible under the Supply of Machinery Regs for Health & Safety information and what are the requirements? Any help would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2002 07:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear Ruth
I think you will find most of the answers you need from the DTI webpages. Go to the link http://www.dti.gov.uk/strd/strdpubs.htm to find their downloadable publication list. In particular, the document under Machinery Standards, with the frequently asked questions contains I believe the answer to who is responsible. Other documents on that page will help you to discover how to go about CE marking and how to identify all the requirements that must be met before an item is put on the market.

Regards
Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2002 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott
My understanding is that Spain is a member of the EU therefore must manufacture and supply machinery that is suitably CE marked. If this is the case then they must assess the essential health and safety requirements to achieve such marking should they not?
That said you have responsibilities as a supplier and distributer for the equipment. Maybe you should check the web pages as suggested!