Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2002 23:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee Does anyone know of good manual handling training providers/material for refuse collectors? We still use a black bag collection system but may in future transfer to wheelie bins (to avoid hazardous manual handling amongst other things). Any help on this and other training issues for refuse collection services would be much appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2002 00:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd I was recently involved in one of the 'Back in Work' projects that was based on the refuse industry. The study was sponsored jointly by the HSE, the GMB and SITA. We did a lot of work looking at the health (largely musculoskeletal) of the workforce, and also at the ergonomics of the collection process (including vehicle and bin design issues). Finally (but by no means least) we produced a training video which I believe is as good as can be found at the moment. The people to contact for a copy of the report and questions are either (and I'm sure(hope) they wont mind me giving their names out) Chris Gibson (SITA) Chris_GIBSON@sita.co.uk or Paul Barnsley (GMB) paul.barnsley@gmb.org.uk Although approaches haven't been made yet, I would hope that the project is given a spot at the Keele symposium this year; I think it would be of interest to a lot of boroughs.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2002 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Dicker Simon I work for a medium sized unitary (local)authority with an "in house" refuse collection service. Most of our household waste is collected in black bags, and we have experienced a high incidence of manual handling as well as puncture injuries through badly presented refuse. Reading through the HSE publications and having experience of the traditional approach to manual handling,the GMB/SITA report "Don't bin your back" was therefore somewhat of a "godsend". We have just completed on the job training for over 100 collectors using a company called "Pristine Condition" who were the training consultants for the project. Contact details for Pristine Condition are 01491 414464 or e-mail info@pristinecondition.com. You can also contact Chris Gibson from SITA (Chris_GIBSON@sita.co.uk) or Paul Barnsley from the GMB (paul.barnsley@gmb.org.uk.)for copies of the report and training video. We also undertook a local media campaign aimed at raising public awareness as to how refuse should be presented for collection. I can let you have more details if you e-mail me separately. Geoff Dicker
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2002 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey I have been involved with the training provision for a DSO for about eight months now and manual handling for refuse crews has always been the 'hot topic', both in terms of provision and presentation. I have taken on a rather more time consuming approach which involves on the job training, this brings the subject and the training down to grass roots and the benefits are easy to judge just in raised awareness and hazard reporting. On of the major concerns I have now is the potential for needle stick injury from the bin content. Although predominantly a wheelie bin user, the risk is still there and easy to see in some areas of our operation. I also have an ongoing problem with what a colleague calls 'flying bins', that is bins falling off the lift. My own view is that this is down to poor presentation to the lift and haste. I would welcome any comments or ideas that other might have tried to reduce refuse accidents rates. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2002 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brad Bradley Simon,Hello I have used DML Assiciates for my Training and have found them to be excellent. the guy that runs the company has a vast amount of knowledge in not only Manual Handling but all aspects of Health & Safety. I would be happy to give you his information if you contact me. 02380 662275.