Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2002 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Wagner Message for Safety Advisors/Risk Managers in the Health Services We are looking to put together an Information Sharing Protocol/Policy with the police and social services, as part of our zero tolerance to violence at work. This is obviously quite complicated taking into account confidentiality issues. Do any of you have a policy or procedure in place that works and meets confidentiality/data protection requirements? If you do would you be prepared to let me have a look. Regards Chris Wagner - Risk Manager, Plymouth Primary Care Trust. chris.wagner@pcs-tr.swest.nhs.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP Yes, its an area that I am looking at too- A way to do it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2002 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT No Policy as yet but I have an interest in this theme. I recently went for a post as Risk Manager in a MHS of a NHS Trust Part of my research undertook to identify the reasoning behind these assaults to staff. Drug / Alcohol abuse - the trend is for the younger / stronger (potentially) to become Psycotic during drug taking. Those believed to be potentially violent are to be given for want of a better term a "yellow card" which identifies them and instructs them that their behaviour is unacceptable and if they do not modify their behaviour that the authorities will be sent for and that it is the departments policy to prosecute all instances of Violence to members of Staff. Predominently the trouble makers are known to HMS staff and the Local Authorities. For Dataprotection purposes you have to inform this person that you have been identified as a Potentially Violent person - Would this lead to further potential violence? Often it is the case that any Psycotic phase will be short lived if not further fuelled by drug taking, therefore a total ban on drugs, Alcohol, anyone found smoking / smuggling weed should be dealt with immediately by the authorities. The treatment for those with with Mental disorders should not be interrupted due to visitors giving them drugs or alcohol, anyone found interferring with a patients care or well-being, should be dealt with immediately and with the full force of the Judicial System. No Tolerance to the interference of Treatment - Not Zero Tolerance to the treatment of patients who are in very desparate need. Regards PatrickT
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2002 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louise Osborn I am currently implementing a project on called InCheck within my Local Authority, this is a database for potentially violent persons and dangersous addresses and enables officers to check the system prior to making visits, being warned with certain info prior to going out enables an informed assessment to be made of the risk. This system can also be used for those members of the public that come into our town centre buildings. The implmentation of this system will enable us to fulfill our legal requirements through provison of information and safe systems of work. This system is fully compliant with the Data Protection Act. I would be willing to give out more info, you can contact me on louise.osborn@bracknell-forest.gov.uk