Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2002 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Pinfield I work in a factory environment. There are currently no ladies toilets within my area, since they were taken out during a refurbishment six months ago and never replaced. I now have to cross a yard with working fork-lift trucks and lorries to go to the tiolet. Can anyone please advise on my employers responsibility to provide adequate amenities to ensure the female employees health and safety rights are looked after.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2002 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jo, Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 is what you're after. From memory, I think Regulation 20 is the one dealing with sanitary conveniences and 21 deals with washing facilities. If you can't get hold of a copy, come back to me and I'll get you the exact text of the regulation and code of practice. Kind regards, Nick Higginson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2002 22:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Nick is quite right that it is the Workplace Regs that deal with this - but you might like to bear in mind that these Regulations also imply that a shared gents/ladies loo is acceptable, provided, of course, that you can all use it without infringing privacy and decency and that you can lock it from the inside. Is there no loo that you can use in this way? I do appreciate that this is not the ideal solution -even though most architects seem to think it is perfectly acceptable for the disabled - but it may help you to avoid the need to cross the busy yard.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2002 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Pinfield THANKS FOR THE MESSAGES GUYS. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE H&S REGULATIONS WHICH SAYS THERE MUST BE SUFFICIENT AMENTIES, AND YES ZOE IT DOES SAY THAT MEN AND WOMENS TOILETS MAY BE SHARED, BUT APPARTENTLY THERE ARE NO PLANS TO PUT ANY LADIES TOILETS IN THE BLOCK, SHARED OR OTHERWISE. THE REAL ISSUE IS WHETHER OR NOT TOILETS/AMENITIES HAVE TO BE WITHIN THE IMMDEIATE WORK VACINITY. THE ISSUE IS, WHAT CAN BE INTERPRETED AS SUFFICIENT, DOES THIS MEANS ALL AN EMPLOYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR IS INSTALLING AMENITIES REGARDLESS OF THERE LOCATION ON PALNT ?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2002 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson Jo they have to be "suitable and sufficient". Sufficient = to enable everyone at work to use them without undue delay. I have known HSE to insist on additional womens toilets in building simply because they had to travel too far within the building. See also Regulation 17 of the same Regulations which is about vehicles and pedestrians being able to circulate in a safe manner. ie it is not acceptable to have to dodge arround FLTs on the way to the lavvy!