Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2002 18:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey I would like to know if there is potential for inhalation injury from sulphuric acid fumes from old 12v car batteries when sulphation occurs. This being when the sulphuric acid electrolyte attacks the electrode plates and forms the compound lead sulphate as the battery self-discharges. I know that the acid becomes much weaker, but is there a potential through normal handling of fumes generation and any injury?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2002 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster The gasses given off by a lead/acid cell are hydrogen and oxygen - an explosion risk but not otherwise a health hazard. During charging, particularly prolonged boost charging, or during rapid discharge/discharge testing, sufficient gas can be given off for the cells to appear to be boiling. This can generate an aerosol of sulphuric acid which of course IS harmful. That is one reason why caps/plugs should not be removed except for filling. The caps contain a trap/valve to release the gas but contain any acid mist. John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2002 18:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey John, Thank you, I was considering the handling of batteries at a recycling centre, obviously the condition is difficult to judge. Peter Harvey