Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2002 22:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Scott At my place of work I am the union safety rep. I carry out my responsibilties to the best of my ability and enjoy an active role. My manager has asked me to carry out risk assesments for the company including Manual Handling risk assessments. He has arranged for company funded courses to increase my understanding and we use a standardised risk assesment forms. I will also be asked to write safe systems of work. My current level of training is NEBOSH cert. and union introductory and manual handling courses. He said that I was asked because I do the tasks to be assesed and that I am more qualified than anyone locally on the job. My worry is will I be able to succesfully combine the rolls or am I making a rod for my own back. Any advice, comments and experiences would be greatly recieved Graeme
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2002 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Graeme, We try and involve our safety reps in risk assessment, safe systems of work and accident investigations where possible. They are the people who represent the workforce, do the work on a day to day basis and can suggest control measures that are directly relevent to the tasks they are undertaking. This input is very valuable. However, they are not there to perform the task of the 'competant person', and I would suggest that there are situations where a conflict of interest would arise if your employer was treating you as the competant person. Regards Mark
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2002 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Graeme, Ultimately the responsibility lies with your employer. The duties are on the employer, and as such he can delegate H&S functions, but not responsibilities. It is also his duty to appoint competent advice under MHSWR99. A lot depends on the size and nature of your workplace. In a small office based company, someone of your qualifications and experience would be more than competent, however in a nuclear installation they would not. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2002 23:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT "G" take courage. The TU Safety should be involved in all risk assessment process's. Your knowledge of the workplace / environment should stand you out from the crowd and working in this manner with the employer is a progressive measure. I believe rather than being considered and being paid the going rate for the role of "Competent Person", you are merely being asked (if he is a lazy so and so) to do the Risk Managers job for him. There is no accountability without authority and I would inform your manager that (as you say) you will perform this task to the best of your ability but it is still his duty as the named competent person to record the significant findings and introduce control measures highlighted in the RAP, if for any reason there is a failure and the RAP is called into play, he is the one likely to be facing the questions and you would have no other alternative but to tell the truth the whole truth etc.. and this practice would be damming. Good luck Patrick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2002 23:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams take the bull by the horns,(after youve risk assesed it!) do the job properly and they probably wont ask you again as youll be considering control measures, and possibly job redesign. I know i was once asked to do a risk assessment as a TU rep in the civil service which I did highlighting some changes and PPE, once they had this they decided they should get a private company to come in and do it again. Strangely they decided nothing needed doing and the went with the private sector risk assessment. 3 months later someone was injured and my risk assessment was implemented involving procedural changes and PPE was issued!!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2002 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Greame, Having been in the self same position myself in the past may I offer my opinion. As someone said previously it is the management responsibility to carry out risk assessments as per the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regualtions 1999 Regulation 3. A useful compromise for yourself might be to inform your employer that you will carry out the risk assessments, "in conjunction with" one of the managers. Ultimately it will be the managers name on the risk assesment with the majority of the input coming from yourself. It might also be worthwhile asking your employer that if he thinks it useful for you to carry out these extra functions that he might like to support you for your NEBOSH Diploma part 1 or the TUC Certificate in OSH. Kind Regards Lee.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2002 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Scott Thanks Mark,Nick,Patrick,Ashley and Lee for responding and giving me a bit more confidence. Firstly the company that I work for is a Bus company so there wont be any nuclear instillations!!!!!( at least not in the near future.) But seriously on the point of `competant person` as I sign to say I`ve carried out the assesment and my manager signs to say he accepts the same, he then takes responsibility for that assesment, the findings and the implecation of any recommended further control measures. Am I correct in thinking this? I have no reason to believe that I will not be listened to as, to be fair, co-operation is forth coming and I have no major problems with asking for, discussing and recieving any measures I have suggested in the past (other than the usual problems of time and money.) As for futher training I am looking to start the TUC certificate in OSH this April and my manager has agreed in principle to come to an arrangement reguarding time off once I can provide actual dates. Thanks again to all for helping me understand my position. Best Regards Graeme
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2002 01:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT Graeme, I envisage your interpretation to be the correct funtioning of a Risk Assessment (seek further advise from Croner about case history) and that your findings and recommended control measures should be signed for (even if he agrees with you or not) by the competent person, he is obviously managing his staff better than he is at understanding his own duty. A word to the wise, if the doings does hit the fan and the HSE are brought in, your finding should be published further a field and your RM should be made aware of this. Send a copy to your finding to his Manager, your Regional H&S TU co-ordinator, Local HSE Inspector, Local Enforcing Authority, Colleagues on this site, for their attention, as indeed you have already done so by raising this issue or even to me. The reason for this tactic is that once you have brought any issue to the attention of the Competent person they are made aware and are therefore Liable in law,you simply must inform your RM of this, get my drift? I am sure you are more than competent enough to undertake a comprehensive Risk Assessment and that your report will include "Reasonably Practicable" control measures, but undoubtedly you are not in a position of authority to implement your recommendations, he is. As I have said before you cannot have responsibility without Authority. If you want to discuss this matter further send your Tel No: to teyhan@pgen.net Regards and good hunting Patrick P.S. Keep the Faith, Brother
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 March 2002 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Consultation is the name of the game. Make sure you get input from your members otherwise if something does go wrong you'll cop for the blame from them. As all good reps and managers know the best source of information on the hazards associated with a task are the people doing it. Good luck Robert Woods GMB
Admin  
#10 Posted : 25 March 2002 22:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Humphrey Graeme, it sems that your manager is passing on his responsibilities with respect to risk assessments. As it has been stated and highlighted, the employer has the duty to carry out the risk assessments. You are not alone in this situation, it seems common practise throughout industry to try and get a safety rep to do risk assessments on his or her own. My company have also tried the same tact, as a safety rep I will not carry out risk assessments by my self. To produce a viable and constructive risk assessment there will be the need for more than one input.A possible solution would be risk assessment teams, they work very well as my company have found out. The team MUST consist of a manager or supervisor,1, to meet the requirement of the legislation and 2, they have the authority to get things done unlike a safety rep. The team consists of 1 supervisor, 1 safety rep and 1 employee from that area. They all received training together as a team. The response is very positive, the supervisor has now taken a more proactive role in H&S in his area and pursues any recomended actions with great vigour. This may have something to do with his name on the risk assessment form. The risk assesment team attend the monthly safety committee meetings to discuss the latest risk assessments. Graeme this did not happen overnight, by the sounds of it your company has the same culture with respect to risk assesments to mine, get the rep to do it. Keep plugging away at your manager, the Company, Employer has the duty and must carry out risk assesments, NOT the employee. Good luck with the TUC cert course. Phil
Admin  
#11 Posted : 26 March 2002 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Phil, I agree wholeheartedly that the team approach is best. However, you appear to have made the popular mistake of equating "employer" with "manager". Yes, it is the employer's responsibility to carry out risk assessment - the employer being the body corporate, the organisation. How the organisation chooses to discharge that duty is really down to them, provided that it is done, is done by someone competent to do it, and the results are suitable and sufficient. Senior management are responsible for ensuring that it happens. A trained, committed, and enthusiastic union safety rep, working with others, is a good choice if appropriate to the level of risk, and not a "cop-out" by the employer.