Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2002 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Coffey where do I start looking for safety features at planning and building stages
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2002 20:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I have used CLEAPSS School Science Service (Brunel University) publications for this purpose.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2002 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle Try Chemical Industries Association Kings Buildings, Smith Square, London SW1P 3JJ Tel: 020 7834 3399 email: publications@cia.org.uk I'm sure they will publish best practice guidance on layout and design of laboratories. Alternatively, try the Royal Society of Chemistry - sorry no contact details, but I'm sure they will have a web site. Regards, Steve Whittle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2002 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne It depends on the sector you work in, planned usage, how "high-tech" the labs are to be, and budget, but most lab furniture suppliers offer a planning & design service (you will need to emphasise your specific safety aspects to them to ensure these are adequately considered.) I used to have a book called "Lab design issues" which was very good but I'm afraid I can't find any reference to it now. H&H Scientific Consultants do some books on lab design, see http://www.hhsc.co.uk/. Some kind of guidance is likely to be needed especially if such minefields as ventilation and LEV are involved. Remember to consider safety aspects of the whole life of the new facility - from commissioning and first use, through changes of use, alterations and refurbishments, to decommissioning (e.g. safe removal of fume cubboards at a future date.)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2002 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment As the other respondents have indicated, it depends on what the sector/uses are. For the hi-tech, biological agents end of the use spectrum- get "Categorisation of biological agents according to hazard and categories of containment" by the Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens, from HSEbooks. NHS estates have a building note on laboratory design. Try their web site on (i think) www.nhsestates.gov.uk