Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2002 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler Please can anybody help. A number of personnel have the above mentioned with attachable keyboards. I have been asked to do a risk assessment accodingly. Has anybody got the answer? Thanks for your help. Regards./ Jonathan Sandler
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2002 17:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Not enough info, I'm afraid. It (the risk)depends on so many things, e.g.: what type of keyboard? (small but with socket to plug in palm top, fold up, full size, on screen); then there are questions re: time using keyboard, where and on what sort of surface (I've seen people trying to use these on their laps - not pretty). Can they use on screen material until at desk when data can be downloaded to PC? Whatever the conditions there is (in my view) likely to be an increased risk from use of these machines if any significant text entry is required. That said, I believe there will be increasing use of these machines that will run assessment programmes (and I have seen prototype systems).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2002 22:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Jonathan, Would suggest that this is still classified as DSE, and as such an existing risk assessment process would produce a suitable risk assessment in this case. I would have thought that ergonomics, posture and eye strain would have major influence. Regards Mark