Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2002 21:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Many thanks to people who have responded to any of my previous posts. This site is proving an invaluable source of information! Now for my new request.... Can people point me in the right direction as to where I can find info on lone workers. I have the HSE Working alone in safety but what I require is the methods of resolving the problem and remaining in contact with workers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2002 22:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Jason, Alot of this will depend on the exact nature and potential risks of the tasks these lone workers are carrying out. It may be sufficient to give people mobile phones to keep in touch in times of emergency, or alternatively radios and a 'buddy' system can be employed. regards Mark
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2002 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen I know what you mean. There are several different conditions/jobs within the company that place the individuals in different situations and environments so different methods of control would be appropriate. Therefore Im just trying to colate as many of these as possible. Radios etc are ok but if the person is knocked unconscious then it renders them useless. Buddy systems are fine until someone forgets
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2002 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jason, We have recently done a lot of work on lone working/violence. We started with a risk assessment and identified a hierarchy of staff at risk. Control measures have included: A datatrack system in vehicles, global positioning satellite phones, enhanced SMS text messaging phones, personal safety training, safety instruction for staff, counselling service for staff involved in incidents etc. I have an excellent contact for training if you're interested. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2002 10:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Jason, Are the people working alone off the premises i.e. visiting clients/customers, or are they in an industrial setting on a remote part of a site,working in boiler house or roof void for instance?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2002 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen The workers are all on site and, like you say include areas such as voids, liquid cooler tank rooms etc. It also extends to cleaners who have to visit areas which arent regularly visited, such as stairwells and parts of the factory which are only used as equipment storage.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2002 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jason, A bit expensive I know, but have you considered "no movement" alarms? And yes, thank you everybody, but I've already had all the jokes about lethargic or comatose staff!! Laurie